From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't find VISA resource name

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to run an example code, provided by the manufacturer with a Keithley 2420 3A SourceMeter.  It is powered on, and set up for 488.1 GPIB Protocol.  It is hooked up to my computer using a KUSB-488A GPIB cable.  On the front panel of the example program, there is a drop-down menu labeled "VISA resource name."  The two options available to me are LPT1 and COM1, but I don't think either of these are the right resource name.  Does anybody know what VISA resource name I should be using with the Keithley, or how I can find this out? If it helps, I provided the example program I am using. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,071 Views)

Start by opening NI-MAX and see what ports are recognized under 'devices and interfaces'.

Message 2 of 5
(5,064 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CrashMcLars1

Typically, only NI hardware is going to be recognized in MAX and you would not get any VISA resources for non-NI controllers. If there is a VISA driver for the Keithley, you can try installing that as a secondary VISA driver and enable Tulip support in MAX. Keithley support is the best place to ask about installing their hardware for LabVIEW. 

Message 3 of 5
(5,055 Views)

If you read the intructions that come with the Keithley USB-GPIB converter they enclude installation instructions to install the National Instruments compatable version of their driver.

Yup, just read and follow the set-up instructions.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,049 Views)

I figured it out, I realized I need a driver for both the instrument AND the connecting cable. Who woulda thought?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,973 Views)