LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't find VI on windows startup

HI,

I have a shortcut on my desktop that we use to run a NI-motion & NI-vision application (in the development environment). If I reboot the PC and try to run the application from this shortcut ASAP, windows (I think) reports that the VI does not exist and suggests searching for it. Then it loads, sometimes with a broken run arrow. Closing the VI and reloading it fixes the problem, and from that point onwards the problem goes away. I notice if I wait a while before clicking the shortcut after a re-boot all is OK. I think I saw a question on this in the past - but I can't find it now. Can anyone help here?

Windows XP
LabVIEW 711

Thanks
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,050 Views)
You should simply ignore this message, it's simply XP's file find service that times out and pops up this prompt.
The vi, as you verified, is found anyway.
It also happens to me when the PC is heavy loaded (typically when launching new applications).

Paolo
Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,039 Views)

Thanks,

Although sometimes the application has a broken run arrow. I can't instantly think of any workaround for this issue, other than a more powerful PC. I guess we will have to live with it.

Martin 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,035 Views)
I think that the broken arrow deserves more investigations. What's the actual error?
I never had errors after this message but for other reasons.

Paolo
Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,033 Views)

Hello,

Sorry for the delay I've been trying to re-create the broken run arrow problem I had, to establish the error code. I conclude it was something to do with double-clicking on the LabVIEW shortcut twice, the second time being after the windows - can't find file dialog (and before the app has loaded). This appears to result in two instances of LabVIEW, I end up with two instances of the same VI open at the same time. I did not notice this at first and started development, some how I ended up with an error on one instance of the program and not the other. I'll try to aviod that in future. I'll do further testing when I have upgraded the LabVIEW version to 8.

Thanks,

Martin

WinXP, LV7.1.1
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,001 Views)

Hi,

Does anyone know is there a way to stop this message from displaying? Will building the application into an exe help?

-Martin

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,726 Views)
Martin.D,

What message are you now refering to now? Is is the error that is happening when you try to open the application quickly when booting up? Does this broken arrow problem happen it you wait until Windows has completely booted up?  If you can reproduce the error, try to post a screenshot of the error message so that I can have a better understanding of what excactly is going on.
Eli S.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,690 Views)