LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't find 34980A vi icons on the function palette

Hello,

I'm fairly new at LabVIEW and am currently running the 2014 64-bit version on Windows 7. I downloaded the driver for the Keysight (Agilent) 34980A unit. When I extracted the files it defaulted to a LabVIEW 2009 path. I simply changed 2009 t0 2014. The problem is I can't seem to find the icons on the functions palette as indicated in the white paper (34980 palettes.jpg). The only way I can access the VI's is to use the Select a VI....option and then click on the driver located in the folder C > Program Files (x86) > National Instruments 2014 > instr.lib > ag34908A (34980 Driver.jpg). This generates a list of VIs but no icons (34980 VI List.jpg). My question is how to I makes this VI library appear and act like a standard LabView palette? Thanks in advance for the help.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,501 Views)

@LesKing2014 wrote:

Hello,

I'm fairly new at LabVIEW and am currently running the 2014 64-bit version on Windows 7. I downloaded the driver for the Keysight (Agilent) 34980A unit. When I extracted the files it defaulted to a LabVIEW 2009 path. I simply changed 2009 t0 2014. The problem is I can't seem to find the icons on the functions palette as indicated in the white paper (34980 palettes.jpg). The only way I can access the VI's is to use the Select a VI....option and then click on the driver located in the folder C > Program Files (x86) > National Instruments 2014 > instr.lib > ag34908A (34980 Driver.jpg). This generates a list of VIs but no icons (34980 VI List.jpg). My question is how to I makes this VI library appear and act like a standard LabView palette? Thanks in advance for the help.

1. Download the driver for your device: http://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?ckey=1628832&lc=ger&cc=DE&nid=-33260.536894538&id=1628832
  2. Run the Exe, and unpack it under your LabVIEW installation's folder called "instr.lib".
  3. Restart LabVIEW
  4. Now you should see the driver VIs under Instrument I/O --> Instrument drivers

By the way, why do you use LabVIEW 64 bit version? It is recommended to use the 32 bit version usually, unless you have special requirements to use very large data files...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,496 Views)

Did you copy the mnu file?  That is what tells LabVIEW what to put in the palettes.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,490 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Did you copy the mnu file?  That is what tells LabVIEW what to put in the palettes.

This driver is an automated EXE installer. You run it, and specify the instr.lib folder of your LV instance on your machine. All files are copied automatically there under the "ag34980a" folder, including many mnu files.

I guess the OP got problem either due to a wrong folder path or LV was not restarted after the procedure.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,483 Views)

Blokk, 

Thanks for the reply. I originally installed it acoording to the steps you listed but the platte still does not show up in the Instrument Drivers palette.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,465 Views)

What files do you see under your device driver folder, in my case:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2014\instr.lib\ag34980a\" ?

I have the files shown below in this folder. Did you restart LabVIEW, or optionally Windows?

Examples\
actstat.mnu
actstat.counter.mnu
actstat.dac.mnu
actstat.digital.mnu
actstat.digital.inputmemory.mnu
actstat.digital.outputmemory.mnu
actstat.digital.trace.mnu
actstat.sequence.mnu
actstat-microwave.mnu
ag34980A.llb
config.mnu
config.dac.mnu
config.digital.mnu
config.digital.input.mnu
config.digital.output.mnu
config.digital.trace.mnu
config.microwave.mnu
config.sequence.mnu
config.temperature.mnu
data.mnu
data.advanced.mnu
data.counter.mnu
data.dac.mnu
data.digital.mnu
data.temperature.mnu
dir.mnu
utility.mnu
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,458 Views)

crossrulz,

There are lots of .mnu files in the folder listed above. Do I need to copy them to a different folder?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,449 Views)

They need to be under folder "\instr.lib\ag34980a". I tested it, it works for me after LV restart:

drivers1.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,442 Views)

I figured it out. The files extrcted to the Programs Files(x86) folder. There was also a LabVIEW 2014 folder in the Program Files (not x86 folder). I copied the 34980 folder from the intr.lib folder in the (x86) folder to the istr.lib folder in the non-x86 folder. Restarted LabView and now the 34980 palletes show up under the Instrument Drivers sub-palette. Thanks for all the suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,437 Views)

So the driver was installed onto the 32-bit version of LabVIEW instead of the 64-bit version.  It all makes sense now.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,432 Views)