LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't communicate with my Quad SPDT via IVI

I have a chassis containing a 2548 that I control via IVI switch on two systems. I can initialize the switch just fine on one system, but when I moved the code and drivers over to the other system I can't seem to initialize the switchit gives me an error saying that ID query failed or BFFC0011, which is telling me the Chassis isn't on when it actually is. On the problem set up I have the same drivers. I imported the Max configuration from the working system and still no dice. I can control the switch from max using the soft front panel, but that is it. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,874 Views)

Howdy E=McHammered,

First off, great name.  Well played. Secondly, did you just export the MAX configuration or did you specifically save/load your IVI configurations?  Without this, you will run into problems trying to run any code that uses IVI calls.

ColeR
Field Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,854 Views)

I imported the configuration. I figured out what the problem was. It was in the drivers, I wasn't associating the driver instance with the proper resource name. The default resource name that MAX 4.5 puts in for the resource selection is rarely the one you are supposed to use. Thanks for your time though.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,847 Views)

ColeTrain wrote:

Howdy E=McHammered,

First off, great name.  Well played. Secondly, did you just export the MAX configuration or did you specifically save/load your IVI configurations?  Without this, you will run into problems trying to run any code that uses IVI calls.

Hi ColeTrain,

I'm getting the same error code on a PXI-2535 from the InitWithOptions API, but I'm confused about that.  IVI defines the maximum returnable error code as:

#define IVI_MAX_SPECIFIC_ERROR_CODE (IVI_ERROR_BASE + 0x7FFF)

Which ends up being

0xBFFA7FFF

I've written scripts to scan all of the IVI and NI header files looking for matches and I couldn't find any for 0xBFFC0011.  I also couldn't find any defined IVI errors that don't begin with 0xBFFA.  I looked at the system configuration and it looked correct to me, so I'm hoping if I know what the error actually is I'll have a better chance of figuring out what is going wrong.  Do you know the specific meaning of  "0xBFFC0011" and why it isn't a valid IVI error code?

Thanks,

Dave Gladfelter

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,770 Views)

Well, I think I found my own answer.  I still don't know why the init fails, but the error returned by the driver, "0xBFFC0011", comes from the VISA specification and is defined as "VI_ERROR_FAIL_ID_QUERY".  I'm guessing that the error that an IVI-compatible driver should have returned is "IVI_ERROR_ID_QUERY_FAILED", which is "0xBFFA005E".  Either way, the error is pretty generic, but at least I think I know what is going on now.

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,758 Views)