cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't add serial port in MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have a cRIO 9076 and would like to use the serial port. I can see the cRIO in Measurement and Automation Explorer, but I'm unable to add a serial port to it. I get the error "Internal MAX Error. Could not get interface to MAX database". A fresh installation didn't solve the problem. Any ideas what could be the cause?

Thanks in advance

Internal MAX Error

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,847 Views)

I understood the manual that way: The Rs232 is only to communicate to the Host System (example can be found in https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-3816). This conole mode is activated by turning the switch console out.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,808 Views)

1!.PNG

Ouch! That looks like a Corrupt MAX DatabaseSmiley Sad

The link will get you some additional info on how to recover.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 3 of 7
(4,800 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Ouch! That looks like a Corrupt MAX DatabaseSmiley Sad

The link will get you some additional info on how to recover.

Yup.   Happens on occasion.

In MAX, there's a "Reset MAX Configuration" item in the menu... start there.

I've been able to resolve that issue by uninstalling and reinstalling MAX... that's an easier method than the "corruption recovery" methods IMO.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,779 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ABerg

Thanks for your answers, even if they didn't help. Already tried resolving that issue by repairing a corrupt MAX database before posting here, but it didn't change a thing. Another error message told me that maybe NI-VISA was not installed on the controller, so I installed just that. What I didn't know is that you also have to install "NI-VISA Server". Might be obvious to more experienced LABView users but I'm new to this software and the high number of software components is somehow frustrating...

Anyway, problem solved 😄

Message 5 of 7
(4,770 Views)

Thank for sharing the real problem!  It will probably save another developer from untimely hair loss.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,759 Views)

Hi, ABerg,

Just a question, only when you install 'ni-visa server' you can add a serial port?

Im on similar trouble now...

best regards!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,246 Views)