From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can one application use DataSocket and OPC UA via the same ethernet adapter?

I have one free ethernet adapter available on a PC. I need an application to use both, DataSocket (read and write) and OPC UA (probably server). Is that possible over the one ethernet connection set to a static IP?

I am posting this because I need the answer before I get the oportunity to test it.

Thanks.

mirola

------------------------
Labview 5.1 - 2020
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(684 Views)

Yes, of course. You can run many applications using Ethernet as long as they don't use the same TCP/UDP ports. As any OS already does.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(667 Views)

Thanks, Paolo.

Question:

The program/application already uses DataSocket. There, no port number is defined. I cannot see that you can do that.

With OPC UA I don't know (can't remember, nor check right now) whether you select the port number. I am referring to the NI OPC UA toolkit.

So, how can I take care about what you say?

The OPC UA (server) shall be added to the same application. The partners for the DataSocket comunication are several additional PCs. The OPC UA client will be aother unit. All just connected to a hub.

------------------------
Labview 5.1 - 2020
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(663 Views)

A port clash between widespread applications is very unlikely. Personally, I don't bother about this until I find troubles (never, so far). Usually there is a way to redefine ports, in any case.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(659 Views)