From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i create a large number of identical tabs?

Full disclosure - I consider tabs a poor UI choice when there are more than four or five leaves.  At that point, you are usually better off using a selector of some sort and subpanels to implement the functionality.  It is much easier to maintain, as well.

I think this is where i got hung up.. at the moment because i have only two components i thought tabs would be a good idea.. now that there is the possibilty of many more components it seems to be getting out of control.

Thanks for the help, and hope more than just my problem has been solved 😛

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(396 Views)

@Ryzhawk wrote:

Full disclosure - I consider tabs a poor UI choice when there are more than four or five leaves.  At that point, you are usually better off using a selector of some sort and subpanels to implement the functionality.  It is much easier to maintain, as well.

I think this is where i got hung up.. at the moment because i have only two components i thought tabs would be a good idea.. now that there is the possibilty of many more components it seems to be getting out of control.

Thanks for the help, and hope more than just my problem has been solved 😛

I hate to quote myself but I recently replied to another thread where the advice given applies as well here. To quote:

"This is a perfect example of why it is always a good idea to think about expansion when developing code. I know it has saved my butt more than once. You start a project and never anticipate it changing or growing. Next thing you know you are doing exactly that and the code quickly devolves and becomes true spaghetti code. A little up front planning greatly decreases the chance of this happening. When developing code you should always keep code reuse and maintenance in the back of your mind."

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(388 Views)

Exactly.. Yes, i am a grade A noob 😄

Learning for the future.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(380 Views)

@Ryzhawk wrote:

Exactly.. Yes, i am a grade A noob 😄

Learning for the future.

We've all been there.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(377 Views)