LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i communicate by the USB port, if my application is set up to communicate with the serial RS232 port???

Hi to all labview users... Please help me with my deadly problem. Last Deadline is on monday next week!.

I got a complete program now, written and tested OK. It communicates with a slave to control a motor. I've set up the program to communicate with the slave by the VISA RS232 Serial Port commuication.  and all works fine...
Now the problem is.. that The communication should have been by the USB port instead. So what I have done now, is that i used a USB to RS232 converter.  So that the USB Plug is plugged to the PC, and the RS232 end to my SLAVE,

When I send a command to my SLAVE,  the SLAVE seems to understand it and it executes the command. But I must read some data at the port after sending my command to the SLAVE, coz, this command ask the SLAVE to start streaming data to me.

All communication to me from the Slave  crashes so that i get ( sometimes if I get data ) wrong unknown data i cant understand.

So the big question is: Can i use USB communication although my Application is set up with serial communication if I use a USB to RS232 converter???  ( the Driver for the USB - SERIAL conv. is installed well.)
Baudrate :115200.. parity : none,  Data bits: 8, stop bit : 1.

Please help me.....

Hassan Zamzam
Pictures attached
HFZ
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,573 Views)
Hi Hassan,
normaly your USB to RS232 converter should work as a "normal" serial port.
Mike
Message 2 of 4
(2,572 Views)

I tried ... and i can only send commands, i can only transmit data. I also sometimes receive data, but wrong and non understanable..

Do some one know  what will help if I change something  about the timing or delays before after read write operations.... any idears ..to try?

HFZ

HFZ
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,555 Views)
Hi ZamZam,

Thanks for your detalied description of the problem. However I think the problem is how your USB-RS232 converter is converting the incoming serial command to the USB port. All Labview can see is a "normal" serial port. Do you have some information on the converter? You might also want to contact them to see if they are aware of this issue.

Thanks! 
-----------------------------------------------------
Dennis Morini
District Sales Manager
National Instruments Denmark
http://www.ni.com/ask
Message 4 of 4
(2,490 Views)