From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a waveform graph's display parameters be changed in an exe from outside that exe?

Hi all,

I have a kind of strange Q to post here:

I've got a quite stable test execution system still based on LV 7.11. Amoung others it has a waveform graph that shows curves for different test measurements. All be done in the exe, mostly via Refnums of that graph and property nodes in subVIs that (re-)configure the graph to show the respective signals, descriptions, scales etc. Worked fine for many months, if not years.

This morning I got a call from production floor that they got strange displays. Turned out that some of the properties of that graph became misconfigured, Example: X-sxale is now at autoscaling and the x-scrollbar is invisible. So I got a black bar when displaying ~350 s of ECG data instead of ~5 s. This never happened before and happened similar on at least two (independent) machines. They only share a mySQL-database, some shared folders on the LAN to store results, a LAN-based printer and a common source for an ini-file for test configuration.
They also had problems printing the test reports this morning.

Is there any configuration outside of my exe (for LV runtime?) that could have coused this?

Greetings from Germany!
--
Uwe

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,450 Views)

i dont think it is possible.....

How long did the application executed? if you are displaying a large amount of data on the graph there might be a chance that the CPU may choke (since redrawing takes more memory as well time)

Did you rebooted the application (or PC) and checked the same again?

Guru

Regards
Guru (CLA)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,440 Views)

Guru,

The app is unchenged since last late spring. All machines are shut down over night and are rebootet every morning. The strange behaviour started this morning...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,436 Views)

Have the computers been updated with some new software? Like windows service packs, new virus scanner etc

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
Message 4 of 6
(2,428 Views)

Coq Rouge wrote:

Have the computers been updated with some new software? Like windows service packs, new virus scanner etc

Hi Uwe,

I have to side with Coq Rouge on this Q.

It is possible to "reach-out and touch" if VI server is enabled on those machines but the possibility of malcious code finding the invokations required to pull that off.... unless you have a competitor that has you in their gun sights .... are remote.

There have been a couple of posting here where people have noticed odd things happening with window focus etc. In my case it seems like Windows is clcikcing my mouse for me. I have only seen this on teh Windows XP machine that I allow to get updates.

I believe the system logs should record signs of updates etc. The machines affected should be chcked.

I admit the above is of little use, but maybe it can inspire you.

Trying to help,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 5 of 6
(2,415 Views)

Thank you all,

finally I took the easy road. There had been a few smaller change requests that needed some corrections, a rebuild and a reapproval of the app, but now it is working as a charme again. Don't know the exact reason and had not found any traces in the log files etc. . I have, however, added some more property nodes in the initialisation phase of the app. Maybe that did the trick.

Thx for your ideas!

Greetings from Germany!
--
Uwe

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,272 Views)