From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Omega temperature and humidity sensor RH-USB be connected to labview

I'm trying to connect the temperature and relative humidity sensor Omega RH-USB to labview. (https://www.omega.com/en-us/rh-usb-series/p/RH-USB?gclsrc=aw.ds&&kclid=990889e2-f260-465e-83be-96c15...

Does anyone know how to show the data in labview using this sensor. This sensor is connect to computer through USB.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,537 Views)

Well, the software that Omega supplies to let you do data acquisition with this sensor certainly looks like it was written in LabVIEW.  So if you are very adventurous and know both LabVIEW (maybe at the CLD level, i.e. with several years of experience) and know how to "probe" USB devices to figure them out, you could probably duplicate Omega's code and write your own LabVIEW acquisition routine.  Not a task I'd undertake ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,501 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

Well, the software that Omega supplies to let you do data acquisition with this sensor certainly looks like it was written in LabVIEW.  So if you are very adventurous and know both LabVIEW (maybe at the CLD level, i.e. with several years of experience) and know how to "probe" USB devices to figure them out, you could probably duplicate Omega's code and write your own LabVIEW acquisition routine.  Not a task I'd undertake ...

Bob Schor

I agree that TRH Central looks LabVIEW-ish...

Based on the help/readme document in the zip file I downloaded, I'd also guess it uses .NET to communicate.

If it installed the .NET stuff in a way that you can find (I just quickly scanned the available Constructor node options, but nothing jumped out. Then again, it's a long list...) you could try browsing available Methods and Properties there...

Edit: better method!

The Q&A on the linked page you added has a reply from an "Application Engineer" account linking to a set of "TELNET" commands for communication.

Based on that file (attached to this post) you could probably use the VISA Serial commands to communicate with the device.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,458 Views)

And given the simplicity of the available commands, I created an example VI to get the temperature in C.

You can do all the normal things (keep VISA ref in shift register, close after loop, run commands repeatedly on the opened connection) with modifications to this example:

getTempInC_BD.png

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,453 Views)

I just got this sensor. It's showing up as a com 5 device and I've been able to connect to it through LabView and TeraTerm. But, none of the commands that I've seen in the Serial Command Reference Manual work. I'm using a serial port sniffer and I see them getting sent out, but don't see any useful data coming back. Wondering if I'm missing some setup step.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,100 Views)

First thing in such cases is always the termination character. Did you get that right? Did you enable "Display Backslash Codes" in the LabVIEW string where you entered your "C\r\n" command?

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,082 Views)