LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Multiple DMM instances access the same DMM instrument ?

My one main experience with TestStand involved putting together a class-based HAL when I was also pretty new to LVOOP.  So I was a bit of a noob at the time, plus my memory of it isn't clear and thorough.  With all that as caveat, I'll try to comment.

I too struggled with the need to instantiate an instrument, open its communication connection just once, and then be able to use that instrument object (and it's initialized comm reference) repeatedly.  I wound up making a little Action Engine lookup table for the instantiated objects with their comm references.  I called it my instrument registry.  I think I had to do another thing like launch a background LabVIEW process that first made an initialization call to the registry, and then just ran idly to prevent garbage collection on the comm references while I was executing sequences.

When retrieving a "live" instrument object from the registry, the terminal must have been of parent type already.  I don't recall needing to cast it before calling the dynamic dispatch HAL functions.

It's possible all the "registry" mucking about I did wasn't necessary but it was the solution I managed to find which preserved open comm connections.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 11
(165 Views)