LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Labiew be used to open PDF files?

Hello,

I'm opening a pdf file with activeX class iacroaxdocshim. Opening the pdf file works fine. Is it also possible to search for text withing the pdf file? (using activeX)

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 25
(4,816 Views)
Hey Ronnie,

As Janell said, if Adobe offers an activeX call to scan a pdf, you can certianly do it in LabVIEW.  However, I have no examples on how this can be done.  Perhaps another poster has accomplished this, and could post an example.

Good luck!

Regards,

Kevin H
National Instruments
WSN/Wireless DAQ Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 25
(4,779 Views)

Does Labview can open PDF file as an imagin? If can, I will try to read document in PDF format and read text out by OCR function. Could you help me on this?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 25
(4,190 Views)

Hi hangang.

Could you please elaborate on your question?  Are you wanting to write a LabVIEW program that will open up a PDF file and convert it to an image such that you can use that image as an input to an OCR program? 

Regards,

Michael G.

Michael G.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Self-realization: I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 25
(4,160 Views)

Hi Michael,

You are right. That's I want.

We always get document from customer in PDF, for example, purchase order. We need to retrieve part number, spec, date, etc from it to our computer system. If manual input, it is hard to avoid mistake. I have some experience on OCR. So, I want to Labview read PDF as a picture. Then I can import it to my program.

Can I do that?

Thanks in Advance!

Bill

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 25
(4,145 Views)

Hi hangang.

Unfortunately, there is no inherent functionality in LabVIEW to convert a PDF to an image.  That being said, some brief Googling showed that there are a handful of other applications out there that can perform that task.  The best option may be to have another program do the conversion from PDF to an image format and then have LabVIEW read the images and perform your desired processing on them. 

Regards,

Michael G

Michael G.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Self-realization: I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 25
(4,128 Views)

Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I shall find another way to get the data.

Does NI have any plan on PDF format relative function? PDF becomes more and more popular in business document transmitting. Sometimes we need read some fields from the PDF automatically, and perform further processing. Anyway, Labview is a complex system, not only for testing and simulation. We hope it can do more things.

Bill

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 25
(4,115 Views)

Hi,

I have started to "learn" how to program in ActiveX again...but faced a lot of unknowns,

1) Where do I find the Adobe ActivX modules? I started to google but a lot of commercial stuff came up. Is this really something one has to purchase?!

2) Since my request has no one started to open an pdf-> search a string -> copied into an string object?

Any help is appreciated

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 25
(4,069 Views)

Assuming you have Acrobat Reader installed you can place an Automation Open, create constant and select ActiveX object:Acrobat (of some kind, there are several)

There's for example a AcroPDTextSelect-object which can extract text directly.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 25
(4,056 Views)

please send me password to open that sub VI

Regards

SANTHOSH BALAJI R

santhoshtheultimate@gmail.com

0 Kudos