LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Labiew be used to open PDF files?

Hello,
           I have LV 8.0 and would like to build a program to scan a Excel spreadsheet containing 1300 file names. After finding the PDF file name that meets my search criteria I would like LV to open the chosen PDF file. Is this possible?

Thanks, Randy
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(20,980 Views)
Yes.  You can use system exec.vi to launch Adobe Read.
Or you can use ActiveX.  Latest Adobe Read support ActiveX.

George Zou

George Zou
Message 2 of 25
(20,969 Views)
Or use the VI called 'Open Acrobat Document'. It's in vi.lib\platform\browser.llb (LabVIEW 7.1).
Message 3 of 25
(20,961 Views)
or you can use this vi I attached.
Message 4 of 25
(20,948 Views)
Wow! Thanks, guys. Three good answers in less than forty minutes! I didn't even get a chance to respond to the original question yet. Customers like you guys really make a difference, and all our other customers really benefit from your benevolence. Thanks again!

Message Edited by sarahk on 09-18-2006 01:32 PM

Sarah K.
Search PME
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(20,898 Views)

Thank you very much. This is my First time at opening and or modifing files with Labview and you all helped a lot!

Thanks Again, Randy

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(20,860 Views)

Hi,

I would like to use the same function but also scan within the pdf files for a certain text or even picture. Is this possible? If so how?

Thanks

Yariv

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(20,786 Views)

Hello Yariv,

If Adobe has an ActiveX control that allows you to access the search capabilities of Acrobat, you can most definitely access it through LabVIEW's ActiveX containers.

Let me know if you have anymore questions - have a great night!

Regards,

Janell R | Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25
(20,750 Views)

Hi Janell,

Since I don't have any experience with it, do you have any example code or link how to perform it?

Best regards

Yariv

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(20,718 Views)

Hello Yariv,

Unfortunately, I do not have any examples on using ActiveX to scan PDFs.  ActiveX is actually a Microsoft technology.  There is a chance that a generous community member here or on another forum (like LAVA) maybe able to assist.

Good luck!

Janell R | Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(20,683 Views)