LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can LabView Japanese be installed on Windows XP MUI with Japanese as the default language?

I recently set up a computer for a client in Japan using Windows XP PRO MUI version.  When they tried to install their Labview Japanese, it "turned into garbled characters."

From the Microsoft link it appears there are some differences between a fully localized Japanese Windows and the MUI version"

on localized versions:

• The user interface resources are fully localized.
  • The
    Windows Setup information, such as system locale, user locale, keyboard
    layout, etc. is customized for the specific language/country. This is a
    policy setting with the Multilingual User Interface Pack.
  • Additional country specific device drivers are added in the East Asian versions only.
  • There
    is support for upgrades from localized versions of Windows 9X or
    Windows 2000 to localized Windows XP. MUI only supports upgrades from
    English versions.

Because the resources used in a localized
version are used to create MUI, there is no difference between the
actual translations. This results in a nearly full localization, apart
from small elements that are still dependent on:

• INF files.
  • UI strings stored in the registry.

etc.

My question: Should it be possible to install Japanese Labview on top of Windows MUI with Japanese set as the user language and default language?  My assumption was Yes, but now they appear to be unable to get this to work.  Are there specific workarounds, policy changes, or drivers that can be done to get this to work?

Thank you in advance for any help or insight you can provide, or if you can point me to a better place to post this (I don't know Japanese myself).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,683 Views)
Does anyone have any thoughts?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,668 Views)

Hi Eric,

I'm currently looking into this. I'll post again as soon as I have more information.

Will
CLA, CLED, CTD, CPI
LabVIEW Champion
Choose Movement Consulting
choose-mc.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,654 Views)

Hi,

Here you have some interesting tutos about foreign languages in LV :

Localizing Your LabVIEW Application to Different Languages

Localize LabVIEW Applications in Multiple Languages

Let me know what happens.

Regards,

Message Edité par Steve Mohamed le 02-27-2009 09:02 AM
Steve M.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,643 Views)

Will, I'm eager to hear what you find out...thanks!

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,631 Views)

Steve,

Thanks for the links on localizing LabView apps.  My concern right now though is whether I can install Japanese LabView itself  on Windows MUI Japanese as opposed to the fully localized Japanese Windows XP.

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,630 Views)

Hi Eric,

It doesn't appear that LabVIEW has been tested with Windows MUI, but since it pulls its information from specific resource files and not the standard language files, it is quite possible that all you need to do is install the East Asian Language files, and LabVIEW Japanese will display the correct characters.You can install the East Asian Languages by going to Control Panel >> Regional and Language Options. Go to the Languages tab and check the "Install files for East Asian languages" in the Supplemental language support field.This seems like the best option for preserving Windows MUI but still getting the correct character sets.

Will
CLA, CLED, CTD, CPI
LabVIEW Champion
Choose Movement Consulting
choose-mc.com
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,581 Views)
Thanks for this suggestion -- I will advise my client.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,564 Views)