From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can LabVIEW send an email through Microsoft Exchange server without an account set up in Outlook?

I've found sample code that shows how to send email through Outlook using LabVIEW.  On any computer I log into on our network, my profile loads and I have access to the exchange server through Outlook so the code works.

However, I am developing a program that will run on a lab computer with a generic PC login that is shared among everyone in the lab.  Exchange server/outlook is not set up for the generic user.

Is it possible to have labVIEW send an email through the exchange server with a server name, username, and password coded into the executable?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(8,620 Views)

You would need to send a standard SMTP message via Exchange. The Exchange server will likely require authentication, so you won't be able to use the built-in SMTP VIs, as they do not support authentication. If you're on Windows you can use .NET (see this example), or use the OpenG SMTP VIs.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(8,610 Views)

Thank you for the reply.  I found the SMTP examples as well but did not know if I'd be able to use that.  The exchange server in Outlook is set up as ***.***.net rather than a smtp.****.***.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(8,606 Views)

It does not matter what the name is. All that matters is that it accepts SMTP connections. Sometimes network admins may disable the SMTP interface for internal email. You need to talk to your network admin folks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(8,597 Views)

I'll do that. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(8,595 Views)

Hi mltullos,

Were you able to do what you wanted? If so, what is the port number you are using? and Is SSL enabled?

I am also trying to do the same. Please share your experience.

Anandelamaran Duraisamy,
Senior Project Engineer,
Soliton Technologies (P) Ltd,
www.solitontech.com
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(8,218 Views)

Hi Elamaran,

The examples that smercurio_fc mentioned through a previous forum and in his example he posted are very helpful.  Through those examples and other documentation at ni.com the port number should be from the server.  Also, it looked to me like that example enables SSL by default.

Regards,

M. Whitaker
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(8,184 Views)