LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can LabVIEW FPGA run on the open-source PYNQ board?

Does anyone know if LabVIEW can run on the open-source PYNQ board (http://www.pynq.io/)? It's got the same chip as the NI-9651. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,982 Views)

Doubtful; LabVIEW FPGA targets only NI hardware.

Out of curiosity what is your preference to PYNQ?

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,959 Views)

Cost.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,954 Views)

The other thing that I forgot to mention is the PYNQ-Z1 board is sold by Digilent which is an NI owned company: https://store.digilentinc.com/pynq-z1-python-productivity-for-zynq/

Seems like a wise thing for NI to support.

Message 4 of 7
(3,952 Views)

I agree with you.  I didn't know that part is made by an NI owned company.  I know with beecube and ettus, other companies that NI acquired, they slowly integrated them to be supported by LV FPGA.

I wonder if adding LV FPGA support would add to the cost of the card; personally I would not be surprised since LV FPGA as a dev tool is lower in cost than other high level FPGA tools that output VHDL; with LV FPGA they seem to recoup the cost via hardware sales.

If the pin configurations of the two boards are the same, you may be able to send that bitfile (less the header I think) to the PYNQ board.  Would be interesting to see what you come up with.

PS I kudoed your lv fpga ideas; really good ones!

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,933 Views)

Thanks Terry. We'll see what happens in terms of NI supporting it...

I have not yet purchased the PYNQ but am considering it. If I do and end of trying it out I'll post what happens, but, it's not going to be for a while...

Thanks for the kudos!

Message 6 of 7
(3,921 Views)

So, how is the working?

Has anyone been able to put them together?

Does it works?

I'm starting the course of LabView in the university and I'd love to try the codes by myself (especially because the University doesn't have NI hardware to deploy our VI)

I'm looking for a low cost device to try (for now the best solution is a raspberry pi or a BeagleBone. But anyone has a better board to use?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,123 Views)