LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can LABView use SCSI ?

I have SCADAS III with SCSI interface. I would like to know if it is possible to use it with Labview Sound and Vibration module.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,045 Views)

Do you even have a fully functional SCSI controller in your computer? That is so last century I didn't think that you could still buy SCSI interfaces.

As to your question: Yes but not in an easy way! Basically SCSI interfaces used to be installed with a driver that supported the ASPI standard driver interface under DOS and Windows 3.1/95. Under Windows NT there was a very different driver interface that was partly provided by Windows and adapter manufacturers would then install a mini driver that would support their specific hardware interface. If you have a fully Windows 2000/XP/7 compatible card then you could access the device driver through the Windows APIs CreateFile(), and then do DeviceIOControl() calls to it to pass SCSI commands to the device. But that is tedious and only possible if you have a full documentation of the SCSI commands for your device with the exact parameters.

Of course nobody did that like this except the manufacturers of such devices, who then wrote a user space DLL that allowed to access these devices. If your device has such a DLL you can of course call it with the Call Library Node in LabVIEW. That is still not trivial (you need to know in fact enough to be able to call that DLL from a C program in order to be able to make this work in LabVIEW with the Call Library Node) but several magnitudes easier than trying to communicate with the device directly through the SCSI device driver.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,036 Views)