From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can IEEE 488.2 Labview software/drivers used on a IEEE 488.1 instrument

I have a IEEE 488.1 device but am using a IEEE 488.2 Labview software/driver package.  Measurement and Automatiion
tells me that the IEEE 488.2 board is working properly but there is no communication between the board and the device.
Is IEEE 488.2 downward compatible?  If not, is there any remedy rather than getting a new board or getting a new instrument
with IEEE 488.2 software?

Thanks.

Mark
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,938 Views)
They are compatible. Does MAX find the instrument and say it doesn't respond to the *IDN? query or does it not find it all? If it doesn't respond to the *IDN? query, that is not a problem. That wasn't a required command until 488.2. You just have to look in the programming manual for a supported query.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,935 Views)

It doesn't find the instrument at all.

Mark

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,933 Views)

TO "find the instrument" the device must "respond to the *IDN? query "?

You can not expect pre-488.2 device to show up in MAX.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,929 Views)

Ben,

I hate to disagree with you but the initial 'find' of an instrument has nothing to do with *IDN? or any other command string that is sent. There is a great explanation by GPIB Guru in the post at http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=140&message.id=17530&view=by_date_ascending&page=1 that explains what is done before MAX sends the *IDN?.

wash,

First, what is the make and model of instrument? Have you checked things with a different cable? Can you check it with a different instrument? How is the address set on the instrument? Is it with dip switches or a front panel option. Verify that the address is unique and not 0. Also, some instruments require you to explicitly turn on GPIB communication from some front panel menu.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,921 Views)

"I hate to disagree with you but..."

Please do no hesitate to disagree with me.

Pushing my knowledge envelope to the limit often yeilds new.

I stand corrected!

Thank you,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,916 Views)

Hello,

In my application I am conducting a pressure test, Here am using DMA Make Air Data Test Set witch I am interfacing to the PXI system through GPIB.

In MAX the particular GPIB address is detected but if i write a query "*IDN?" it did nt respond.

To debug this issue I used NI 488.2 Interactive control when i started communicating with the instrument it throws error such as EAB0 and status as TIME0 and CMPL

Here the Instrument DMA make MPS31C is 1EEE 488.1 Compliant.and NI 488.2 Ver 2.52

Please find the attached operation manual and Device communication manual of the Air data test set

Please suggest be a solution for this issue.

Waiting for a quick reply

Regards

Lingaraj

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,427 Views)

Did you see the *IDN? command any place in the manual? I didn't. If the vendor did not implement it (not uncommon in old instruments), just ignore the warning in MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,408 Views)

its not responding to any commands tat is being given in the device communication Manual.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,402 Views)

That's a different problem than what you described.

I would suggest you try different termination characters. You can set it in MAX or append CR, LF, or both in the strings you send.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,399 Views)