LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use the PCI-GPIB as a DAQ card to obtain data from a Spectrum Analyzer?

I do have the instrument driver for the RS spectrum analyzer. I am using a NI PCI-GPIB card, which is configured in MAX under "Devices & Interfaces". I can communicate with the instrument and it responds to single commands.

What I want to do: a) control the equipment; and b) acquire spectrum waveforms (signals).

When I start LabView 6.1i using "DAQ Solutions", it cannot find the DAQ device (ok... it is a GPIB board). So I tried both examples under "..Signal and Spectrum Analyzer Examples". The .vi's open and I can look at the diagram. However, even the example expects a DAQ card.

Questions:
1. If I need to start with those examples, how do I change the "device number"?

2.How can I at least send commands (scripts) to the Spectrum Analyzer using Labview (ok.. let's skip the pretty pictures for now)?

3. ... let's start with hopefully Q2 as a start ;o)

If it helps, the equipment is a Rohde & Scharz FSEM-30.

Thanks
Message 1 of 3
(2,455 Views)
The instrument driver has a set of VIs that you use to control the instrument - specific operations like Initialize, Configure, ReadWaveform, etc. You use these VIs in your program to control the instrument and they handle all of the low-level GPIB commands and formatting. It should also have a high-level example VI that you can use to control the instrument and get data. By looking at the example VI, you can get an idea of how the instrument driver VIs should be used in a program.

The DAQ programs you are looking at are meant to show how you can use a DAQ board and LV to perform spectrum analyzer functionality. In that sense, you cannot use the GPIB board as a DAQ device in these examples.
Message 2 of 3
(2,455 Views)
Thanks!!

It works!!
Message 3 of 3
(2,455 Views)