LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use multiple custom error code files within a single labview application?

I have a modular scalable labview app that can add systems to it as I add additional systems to test.  My question is how do I handle it when each of these  systems have their own custom error code files?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,196 Views)

Just select the "Copy Error code files" check-box on the Advanced tab of the build spec.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,181 Views)

I see this dialog check box but what I am asking about is if there is a way to use more than one error code file "error codes.txt" for building a project.  If one developer is writing a VI which is a child VI of the main program and he wants to use his own custom error codes in his child VI, how can I integrated that during build with parent VI if the Parent VI has its own error code.txt file also?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,173 Views)

Hello id,

Yes, this should be possible - as per the LabVIEW help, all you should need to do is include the custom error files in the errors directory for the version of LabVIEW/Labview Runtime you're using.  When deploying your plugin children, you'll just need to ensure that the new error files are installed to <root>\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\<version>\errors\. If you're building an installer, Jeff's suggestion should take care of that.

Note that a valid error file is named <something>-errors.txt.  You can have any number of these files.

Once you've placed that in the correct directory, any time that error is passed to a standard error reporting VI I believe the comment should be pulled from those files. If error numbers are duplicated, it should display all applicable comments.

For reference:

Defining Custom Error Codes to Distribute throughout Your Application

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361K-01/lvhowto/def_custom_error_text/

Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,169 Views)