LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I stop ANY of the NI services? Machine crawls now.

Solved!
Go to solution

@msamp wrote:

Well, the kernel line is always low (<5%).

Troubleshooting the PC needs to be done, i'm sure, but the core of the question is: can any of the services be disabled?

Thanks,

Mike

I was thinking the question was how to speed up the machine.

I have blown away NI tasks and got away with it right up until I tried to use function that depend on those tasks.

To the best of my knowlege the only way to "Disable" them is to figure out what part is used by what and and use Add Remove Programs to delete what starts them. Figuring out what starts what could be rather time consuming.

If you could nail what is slowing you down you could focus on fixing that.

Quoting myself:

"The first step in solving a problem is clearly defining the problem."

Aside from "machine starts up slow" can you better define the issue?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(4,619 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author msamp

Ben -

Thanks for all the help. I think I'll close ths out for now until I get a chance to run some start-up optimizers and such.

Again - thanks.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(4,617 Views)

msamp wrote:

1) Does it really NEED all 14 services?

Since you actually counted the services (14!), would you mind listing them for us, because I am curious what they are.

(I never see that many even with three different LabVIEW versions installed concurrently). My I7 boots in 20 seconds and that did not change.

Did you allow LabVIEW to access the network (firewall)? Does the security dongle interfere with network traffic? (what does it actually do? Do you have a model number?). Several parts of LabVIEW communicate locally via TCP/IP, so there could be network timeouts involved if they are blocked. Does the example finder work?

(Don't worry about SSE2, only very old processors don't support that (Pentium III, Athlon XP, etc.). Since LabVIEW 2011, LabVIEW requires SSE2. While it will install on these old processors it might take minutes to pop up a properties window, for example)

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(4,602 Views)

I also found an older discussion where I tried to figure out some of the services:

Start here, but read the entire thread.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(4,597 Views)

Similar problem here. Although it's not my computer that boots or runs slower but a third party program that refused to start. I contacted the developers of the program and we mailed a few days to find out what the problem was. The program tries to launch a server service and gives an error if the initialization takes more than two minutes. By upping the time-out to 5 minutes, the service was able to start. But waiting more than 2 minutes for a program to start is a bit long 😉 Since I was the first (and only one) to report such a problem, I decided to find out wat was "different" about my computer and I found out that there were also 14 NI Services running on my PC. Disabling them solved the problem, the third party program started in a few seconds.

Thanks for the link to that thread, altenbach. Pity they promised a KB article already more than a year ago...

These are the 14 services running on my computer:

NI Application Web Server
NI Citadel 4 Service
NI Configuration Manager
NI Device Loader
NI Domain Service
NI License Server
NI LXI Discovery Server
NI mDNS Responder Service
NI Network Discovery
NI PSP Service Locator
NI PXI Resource Manager