From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I stop ANY of the NI services? Machine crawls now.

Solved!
Go to solution

Quite a few services associated with Labview are installed when the software is installed and it makes my machine take much longer to boot and run slower. Can any of these **** things be disabled? Why can't they be made to start when the program is started and stop when it is closed?

Quite rude what it does to my machine...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,312 Views)

Hi msamp,

I would recommend trying to uninstall and reinstall LabVIEW. 

What version of LabVIEW do you have and what type of processor does your computer have?

Regards,

James D.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,265 Views)

Let's first try to pinpoint what kind of resources are actually used by NI services and that they are actually the problem.

• What is your OS, LabVIEW version and computer specification (CPU, ram, etc)?
  • Does the computer meet the minimum requirements (SSE2 support, etc)
  • Is the HD very full?
  • What NI software did you actually install? (e.g. the data finder toolkit?)

Certain windows updates, scheduled AV scans, and scheduled defragmentation can make the computer sluggish at times. If a system update happened at the same time you installed LabVIEW, the boot might take much longer, for example.

Does the problem go away after a certain time? Is every boot slow now? Is everything installed locally or are there network resources involved?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,259 Views)

yeah - guess my frustration kept me from providing all the needed info. sorry.

Labview: 2010 32bit, 'full' installation, whatever that means. I count 14 (!!!) NI-related services. WAY too many for me to type in here (any way i can capture the list in ASCII for pasting would be nice to know)

Uninstalling and reinstalling is a multi-hour process i'd rather not repeat.

PC: Dell XPS 1520, 64 bit quad-core i7 at 2GHz, each core with 2 threads, 6 Gig RAM, Windows 7, all updates applied, 750G 7200 RPM hard drive approx 50% full

Don't know about SSE2 - where can I find out? NVidia GeForce GT 525M, Forceware 268.3, 1G dedicated RAM, share up to 4G, i think, of system RAM. The only other oddball sw that puts in it's own services is a SafeNet USB security dongle.

Unfortunately, this is not the only PC i've seen this happen on. This is the 3rd one I've installed on and it drammatically slowed all of them down, especially the boot time. Two running Norton 360 (4.x and 5.x i believe), the current one running MS Defender. And others in the company have seen the same,with Labview versions from 8.x up to 2010.

Thanks for oyur help. Sorry if I seem frustrated, but this PC used to scream, now it only whimpers.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,228 Views)

@msamp wrote:

yeah - guess my frustration kept me from providing all the needed info. sorry.

Labview: 2010 32bit, 'full' installation, whatever that means. I count 14 (!!!) NI-related services. WAY too many for me to type in here (any way i can capture the list in ASCII for pasting would be nice to know)

Uninstalling and reinstalling is a multi-hour process i'd rather not repeat.

PC: Dell XPS 1520, 64 bit quad-core i7 at 2GHz, each core with 2 threads, 6 Gig RAM, Windows 7, all updates applied, 750G 7200 RPM hard drive approx 50% full

Don't know about SSE2 - where can I find out? NVidia GeForce GT 525M, Forceware 268.3, 1G dedicated RAM, share up to 4G, i think, of system RAM. The only other oddball sw that puts in it's own services is a SafeNet USB security dongle.

Unfortunately, this is not the only PC i've seen this happen on. This is the 3rd one I've installed on and it drammatically slowed all of them down, especially the boot time. Two running Norton 360 (4.x and 5.x i believe), the current one running MS Defender. And others in the company have seen the same,with Labview versions from 8.x up to 2010.

Thanks for oyur help. Sorry if I seem frustrated, but this PC used to scream, now it only whimpers.

To the best of your knowlege, can you think of anything that may have cahnged between when it screamed and now.

Re: security dongle

can you try out a machine that does not use the dongle?

What does Window Task manager say about processor performance and are you also showing kernal times?

Is it still bad if disconnected from the network?

Curious,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,222 Views)

This is the only machine like this used at the company (it's my personal property) so it's hard to make a direct comparison.

The security dongle can't really be removed/reinstalled (it's a DoD thing...)

I am running one other unusual program - a system monitoring tool from Servoyant. Was installed after Labview and i saw no difference due to it, but it will be coming off in a week or two (demo copy being used).

I guess my real concerns are two:

1) Does it really NEED all 14 services?

2) it's boot time that is really annoying. It has slowed by a factor of 10 or more since installing Labview. System response time is noticably but not fatally slower, especially in matlab calculations. I can live with both, but if i can optimize any by stopping some services I'd like to know.

Thanks for your help, by the way.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,215 Views)

Re: at boot time

Do you have any non-existing devices in your MAX config?

MAX will attempt to reverify all of the remote systems and non-existing device will introduce timeout delays.

If you have LV configure to automatically go out and look for new updates, shut that down.

Did I miss your reply about about the CPU usage?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,213 Views)

Forgot the CPU useags info. Looks like '0'. Not sure i'm looking at the right thing, though. Sorry - don't know how to find the kernel info. I'll google it and see what i can find.

I'll look at the MAX config and shut down LV configure.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,207 Views)

Winodws Task manager >>> View >>> Show Kernal times

will include CPU time spent in the Kernal (doing OS work required to make the machine look like it is working).

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,205 Views)

Well, the kernel line is always low (<5%).

Troubleshooting the PC needs to be done, i'm sure, but the core of the question is: can any of the services be disabled?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,201 Views)