LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I simulate a 9826 CAN module in a simulated cDAQ-9132 chassis?

Solved!
Go to solution

Can I simulate a 9826 CAN module in a simulated cDAQ-9132 chassis utilizing MAX?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,374 Views)

First of all, I guess it is 9862 module, not 9826.

I did not find reason why not. Do you have NI-XNET installed?

First you simulate chassis, then press "Configure simulated cDAQ chassis" button in MAX. Module should appear in the list. I do not have XNET installed, it does not show for me.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,340 Views)

Thanks for the correction. yep! 9862. I do have xnet installed. NI 9862 is not in drop down list. All works great with actual hardware which I don't have at this facility.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,333 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sfrosty

Hi Sfrosty,

Unfortunately, no, there is no way to simulate the XNET modules in MAX. For the DAQ devices, it is relatively simple to generate dummy data (like basic sine waves), but as each XNET configuration will be different and behave differently on each bus. Thus, there is no straightforward way to simulate them, and so it is not possible.

However, you can certainly still interface with the XNET Database in the absence of the module, and develop the code to later interface with your actual hardware.

Regards,

Regards,

Michael Whitten
Senior RF Applications Engineer
Message 4 of 6
(3,297 Views)

Thank You! I was looking into running the "CAN loopback Test.vi" example without the actual hardware as I did with the hardware. Was just looking for a definitive answer. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,294 Views)

The older NI-CAN has two virtual CAN ports that are tied to one another.  Write to one and you'll read it on the other.  Very useful for testing out code, or seeing how APIs might work for other NI toolkits like ECU and Automotive Diagnostic.  XNet for some reason doesn't have this functionality and here it the idea exchange item I made on it last year.  Vote for it if you are interested.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/XNet-Virtual-Hardware-Ports/idi-p/3269889

Message 6 of 6
(3,289 Views)