From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I run a labview 7 program using a newer version of Labview (14)?

I have a program running on windows XP. The program was wriiten and being run with Labview 7. How can I user a newer version of labview? Is this possible?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,748 Views)

Hi Wrusso,

is this "program" an executable (created with LV7) or is it a VI running in the LV7 IDE?

If it is an exe: Do you have an installer (setup routine) to install it on your new computer?

If it is a VI: did you try to load it with your new LabVIEW version? (Don't forget to create a backup first!)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,746 Views)

Hello, It's a VI (with many sub Vi's) created with LV7.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,744 Views)

All (or most of it) should open just fine in LabVIEW 2015. Does it use any special drivers or toolkits?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,734 Views)
Hope major changes happened after LV 7 till LV 2015 so it's better to convert your code to latest version.
NI Discussion forum itself has a separate place holder to convert one version of code into some other version.

You can share your code and get converted code back.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,733 Views)

@PalanivelThiruvenkadam wrote:
Hope major changes happened after LV 7 till LV 2015 so it's better to convert your code to latest version.
NI Discussion forum itself has a separate place holder to convert one version of code into some other version.

You can share your code and get converted code back.

In this case, that will not help much.  Almost all we do is just mass compile it.  The OP can do that now.

The major issue I would expect is if any DAQ was involved.  Before LabVIEW 8, most DAQ applications were written with what is now called Traditional DAQ.  Traditional DAQ is not supplorted at all on Windows 7.  Unfortunately, there is not simple way to convert Traditional DAQ to use DAQmx.  An understanding of the VIs is needed and some rework will be necessary.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,716 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:
Traditional DAQ is not supplorted at all on Windows 7.

Actually, it IS supported on WIndows Vista/7/8 but it requires a 32bit OS. It will not run on any 64bit OS.

(I recently had IT make me a 32bit Windows 7 PC so I can more easily load and convert the old code with traditional DAQ)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,707 Views)

thank you

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,705 Views)