From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I run a VI on another computer without installing LabView?

Hi!
I created a VI with LabView 8.20 and I would like to run this program on another computer now. Do I have to install LabView on this computer, too? Or is it possible to run a VI like an .exe-file?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(18,549 Views)
Search the forums for 'Application builder' You'll eventually need to install the RunTime as well

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(18,536 Views)
You need to create an application with the application builder. If you don't use any drivers you do not need to install the runtime. You can copy the files from the shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\8.2 folder of your development machine to the target machine. Mostly you can remove another set of files if you don't use them.

These files must be located where your EXE-File is and keep its relative folder structure. This means that the file lvrt.dll is in the same folder than the EXE-File.

Message Edited by waldemar.hersacher on 01-26-2007 11:28 AM

Waldemar

Using 7.1.1, 8.5.1, 8.6.1, 2009 on XP and RT
Don't forget to give Kudos to good answers and/or questions
Message 3 of 22
(18,532 Views)

Hi waldemar.…

Are you sure that is just copy the folder to the .exe location?

I do that and when I try to run the .exe it ask me for the niini32.dll, after that I copy the dll (located at windows/system32 of development machine) to the .exe folder and the .exe initializes but it gives some memory errors and crashes.

The memory errors are on the lvrt.dll module.

I think there are need to do something more.....

Message Edited by IDILIO on 01-26-2007 05:22 AM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(18,524 Views)

Normally yes,

but I must confess I haven't tried that with LV 8.x. In older versions it worked this way. At least in LV 7.0 it was working, because we have build an application this way. The application didn't do any hardware related task and no serial/GPIB I/O. As I wrote if your application needs any driver it is nesseccary to do a full runtime installation together with the driver.

Waldemar

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(18,520 Views)
Hi,

My application didn't do any hardware related task, there is no need to drivers, and the only actions that are not related exclusively to UI are database queries.

It's in LV8.2

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(18,518 Views)
I made some testing with the various LV versions.

From LV 6.0.2 to LV 7.1.1: Copy the folder <National Instruments>\shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\x.y to the installation folder of the application.

LV 8.0.2: Additionally copy niini32.dll from <windows>\system32 to the installation folder of the application.

LV 8.2: Until now no solution found. With niini32.dll dated 2001-09-20 the application will start as I can see in the taskbar but will exit immediatly.

In the files Seetup_8.2_Administrator_cur.txt and Seetup_8.2_Administrator_log.txt I have

####
#Date: Fr, 26. Jan 2007 21:07:02
#OSName: Windows NT
#OSVers: 5.0
#AppName: Seetup
#Version: 8.2
#AppKind: AppLib
#AppModDate: 01/26/2007 19:30 GMT

Waldemar

Message 7 of 22
(18,482 Views)
"I created a VI with LabView 8.20 and I would like to run this program on another computer now. Do I have to install LabView on this computer, too? Or is it possible to run a VI like an .exe-file?"

Yes you can run the VI on another computer without installing LV there.

1. Convert your VI into an EXE with the application builder.
2. Download the  LV8.2  run time engine( RTE) from the LV support site. This is a self extracting EXE file.
3. Install the LV8.2 RTE  on the computer where you want the VI to run.
4. Copy the created  EXE of your VI  on to the computer and run.

( If your VI uses the "Current VI path" function to strip file path info, please remember that when you run with the  EXE, then one more level is added . Read more about this on the  Application Builder help )

But for above I am not sure if you can simply copy the RTE and make it work. It never has worked that way for me with LV8.0.

Raghunathan
Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(18,461 Views)
Hi!
Thank you all for your support!
I managed to find the application builder and to install the RTE on the other computer. The program created with Labview 8.20 runs on the other computer.
I copied all created files (the application builder creates *.aliases, *.ini, *.exe) and the project-file (*.lvproj) to the other computer and just startet the exe-file.
Much easier than I thought!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(18,423 Views)
Splettsto,

you'll only need the .ini and .exe file, the others are only for the development environment,

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(18,412 Views)