LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I integrate a PLC/VFD to drive a large motor with Labview through Arduino?

Solved!
Go to solution

I was curious if it would be possible to use labview interfaced with an arduino Uno to control a large motor using a Programable Logic Controller (PLC) or a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD). I would like to set the frequency that the motor is to be ran at through labview then I would like to stop the motor when it reaches a certain frequency/RPM. I plan on implementing a hall effect sensor to determine the RPM of the motor. 

Would I have to use more than one Arduino in order to do this? I'm the electrical engineer in my senior design group. I understand that theoretically something like this should be possible, but I feel as if my programming and coding skills are not as great as my duty in this project may consist of (I am working on this). Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,732 Views)

@belae1ka wrote:

I was curious if it would be possible to use labview interfaced with an arduino Uno to control a large motor using a Programable Logic Controller (PLC) or a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD). I would like to set the frequency that the motor is to be ran at through labview then I would like to stop the motor when it reaches a certain frequency/RPM. I plan on implementing a hall effect sensor to determine the RPM of the motor. 

Would I have to use more than one Arduino in order to do this? I'm the electrical engineer in my senior design group. I understand that theoretically something like this should be possible, but I feel as if my programming and coding skills are not as great as my duty in this project may consist of (I am working on this). Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Regarding to your HW question: first you need to specify what kind of PLC or VFD you want to use (model, brand, etc.). There are some possibilities to interface your PC to a PLC, for example ethernet using TCP/IP. But this depends on the PLC model too. I have never used VFDs myself, but I imagine you can get models with ethernet/serial interfaces. Besides, you might be able to use that Arduino for measuring the signals coming from the Hall-effect sensor (but this also depends on the actual spec of the sensor and the arduino!).

Regarding to your programming skills, if you feel you have limited programming skills, then you can start practicing/learning LabVIEW. This you can start even before getting your hands on any hardware. Start with the Core 1, 2 online learning materials:

http://sine.ni.com/tacs/app/overview/p/ap/of/lang/en/pg/1/sn/n5:selfpacedonline,n24:12725/id/1582/

http://ni.com/myni/self-paced-training

Message 2 of 8
(3,686 Views)

Hello Blokk,

Thank you for the response and for the links for Labview training. I have decided to use a DAQ rather than arduino. I have a question about PLC's and VFD's. What is the difference really? Online I have seen people using VFD's for motor control, PLC's for motor control, and even control system's using both a PLC and a VFD. 

Thanks.

-Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,653 Views)

I do not understand your question about VFDs and PLCs. Two different levels of category. It is like to ask what is the difference between a videocard and a computer...

Message 4 of 8
(3,641 Views)

Are you asking what is the difference between PLCs and VFDs, or the difference in how each of them interface with your DAQ device and LabVIEW?

Message 5 of 8
(3,627 Views)

Hmm, another example: a VFD can control a motor. A PLC might control a factory 🙂

Message 6 of 8
(3,625 Views)

Good point, I suppose I meant the difference on how each of them interface with the DAQ device and Labview. I have came to the conclusion however that it would be more practical to use a VFD and Labview. I will be using MODBUS for communication between the VFD and Labview. 

By the way, I have a question I am hoping you can help me with. 

I need to find RPM of the motor I will be using. Rather than implementing a rotary encoder to do this, do you think it would be more practical to find RPM using the frequency feedback that the VFD provides to Labview through MODBUS?

Does that make sense?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,595 Views)
Solution
Accepted by belae1ka

You can buy a VFD with rpm sensor. The vfd uses this sensor for closed loop feedback control. Then the actual rpm info will be available via modbus...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,586 Views)