From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I generate License key for installer made using Application Builder of LabVIEW

Hi,

Just like general softwares(e.g WINDOWS XP), every software has a product key i.e for validation.
So can I make it for my customized solution while installer will initiate the setup.

Thanks and Bye

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(6,150 Views)
Hi Nac,

you can create your own solution in your software. Have you tried to search for "password" here in the forum? So many other threads about the same topic!

In short:
You can ask the user for a password or license key.
You can make your own encryption/encoding.
You can save this password whereever you like (files, ini-file of the app, registry keys).

But:
It's up to you!

Message Edited by GerdW on 10-26-2007 02:22 PM

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 16
(6,140 Views)

Hi Nac ,

Yes, you can customise your application like other softwares.

You can use different ways for that.

one way is to read physical address from the system wherein you load yur application,manipulate it  and keep whole vi ina case statement fulfilling the criteria of being that manipulated data equal to what you enter.....

hp you got an idea of how to do it.

best wishes and regards !

Sarita

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(6,094 Views)
Hello,
    I am not able to find any link of how to make the passwords or license keys  so that i can use that information in my application for code locking? I am not getting any discussions on this topics after giving search words that are suggested by NAC.
Nabhi
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(5,754 Views)
Hi Nabhi,

Here are some of the discussion forums that I found that have relevant information for you:

This discussion forum even has a screen shot on how to password protect your VIs.

There is also a knowledgebase on how to password protect your VIs:

Source Distribution Dialog Box Password Protection

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(5,715 Views)
Hello Karunya,
My question was different. I want to distribute an application that asks for serial number / licence key while installation and the licence key should be generated considering the MAC address of serial number of hard disk etc etc.. as explained by one of the replies in this thread.... quote below

" one way is to read physical address from the system wherein you load yur application,manipulate it  and keep whole vi ina case statement fulfilling the criteria of being that manipulated data equal to what you enter....."

Password protection of vis is different. I am looking for generating a product key or license key for an application that is developed by application builder.

eagerly looking for the reply to my question.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(5,709 Views)

Thanks u all for ur nice reply.

i will try to elaborate in other wordings : I want to ask user to enter unique product code at the time of installation only and every time user runs exe.

Awaiting for ur valuable replies.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(5,676 Views)
Hi,

You can password protect the zip files itself. The installers does not have any kind of password protection. It creates a Microsoft installer and the utility that microsoft uses is required to edit the configuration of the installer itself. The only other option would be to create a password that would prevent it from executing. However, you will still be able to install the program.

Good luck!
Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(5,657 Views)
Dear Karunya,
      I understand password protection of vis and zip files. But if the application is given to one person and he can give it to some one else with the same password. So the Vis or Executibles are no more password protected.  I was thinking of having a system where, while installing the s/w will check for the mac / h/w address and applies licence key and then execute the program. If the password of Vis is known to one , any one can use that with the same password. I think i am not able to put my question properly. I hope my question is clear now.
regards,
Nabhiraj
Message 9 of 16
(5,638 Views)

Hi Nabhiraj,

That is not possible using te LV Application Builder/Installer. Smiley Sad

You have to write an installation script using Installation Shield or something alike...

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(5,634 Views)