LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I connect 2 cRIO's with each other?

I've maxed out my slots on my 9039 cRIO. I was wondering what the best way to connect two cRIOs to each other would be, so I can use more slots? My original thought was to have both controllers run independently but use the second cRIO to send information over CAN to the main cRIO (as far as the main cRIO would be concerned, the coming information is just another IO point).

Is there a neater solution?

Thanks.

Muri777_0-1618803378528.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,766 Views)

Hi Muri,

@Muri777 wrote:

My original thought was to have both controllers run independently but use the second cRIO to send information over CAN to the main cRIO (as far as the main cRIO would be concerned, the coming information is just another IO point).

Is there a neater solution?

Why waste 2 CAN ports when you can use the Ethernet ports of both cRIO targets to have them talk with each other?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,727 Views)

Definitely would use the TCP/IP port to do this. Unless you need timing synchronization between the chassis, then you would have to use something like the NI-9469 C module for signal synchronization. There are other options as described in this White Paper.

But if you have no synchronization requirements, then using TCP/IP will be definitely the cheapest solution and even time based synchronization can be done purely over TCP/IP with some extra software component.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,702 Views)

Hey gents, the main cRIO Ethernet port is used to control a HMI. Is there a dedicated port for tcp between crio? Or can I use any of them? 

I couldn’t find whether this would work online though, are there any articles describing this? 

Thanks heaps 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,661 Views)

Hi Muri,

the nice thing about Ethernet/LAN is: you can connect a lot more than just 2 devices to the same (physical) port!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,659 Views)

You will need some kind of hub, switch or router obviously to connect your two cRIO chassis' to. A TCP port can have many data connections at the same time, so there is nothing that prevents you from talking over TCP/IP or UDP between the two chassis while the same port is also used to communicate with your HMI. The two chassis simply need to be connected to the same subnet (network segment or hub/switch/router).

Some higher end cRIO chassis also provide two physical Ethernet Ports. 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,654 Views)