From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I configure a only channel like measurement Period?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Everybody,

I am working with NI 9421 module. This module is a digital input. I configured  a channel like measurement of period. My problem is that when I configure a channel like measurement of period  all the channel change  their  configuration and I need that the others channel are working like digital input.

Any ideas will be very helful.

Thank you.

A regard

Pedro

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,853 Views)

Hi Pedro,

where do you plug this module in?

How do you configure the module?

When you use the module in a cRIO with the help of the ScanEngine you are quite limited. Even when you can configure several different functions the all apply to all inputs…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,844 Views)

Hello GrdW,

Thank you for your help. I have pluged this module in a CompactRIO 9035 and I am using ScanEngine and I try to configure this module in his properties ( I click right in this module and I go to properties and specialty digital configuration). I don not know if it could configure a channel like measurement period when I am using ScanEngine.

Thank you.

A regard

Pedro

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,836 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author juanpedro14

@juanpedro14 wrote: I don not know if it could configure a channel like measurement period when I am using ScanEngine.

I am fairly certain you cannot.  But the joy of a cRIO is that you can define your interface by writing your own FPGA.  You can even use "Hybrid Mode" which will allow you to use the Scan Engine on certain modules and the FPGA on others.  For this digital module, you will need to write you own FPGA to measure the period.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,815 Views)

Hello Everybody,

I am working with NI 9421 that is connected on CompactRIO 9035. I am reading a digital signal of proximity sensor. I want to read of period between two pulses. I want to know rpm of a wheel. I attached the program what I did it. 

I try to read of period with tick time but I have really problems speed of the loop because if the loop is too faster I don´t read very well. I am using ScaneEngine. I made this program because if I configure the NI 9421 like period measurement changes all the input and I need other inputs of this module to read other signals.

Thank you so much.

Any suggestion it will very helpful 

A regard 

Pedro

A

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,853 Views)

Hi Pedro,

I moved your message because basically you already got the answer you asked for!

Please don't create double posts on the very same problem!

You have two options:

- Increase loop rate to 1kHz to allow upto (theoretically) 500Hz puls rate measurement

- Use the FPGA to program each DIO pin individually

Btw.: You surely want to detect boolean crossings in your DI signal instead of just the TRUE level…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,750 Views)