LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I build an application in LabVIEW 7.1 and run it on windows 98?

I have the NI Developer Suite, Professional Edition 7.1 on a windows XP system and would like to create an application for use on a windows 98 computer using either an E series or M series DAQ card. Is this possible?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,924 Views)
NI dropped support for 95/98/ME with the release of 7.1. The last version of LabVIEW to support these was 7.0 so if you have this version you can do a save for previous and build it in 7.0.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,911 Views)
I hope NI can backward compatible with Win98 in version 7.2 or 8.x. There are many test stations using Win98 but they cannot run 7.1 applications.

Bill
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,892 Views)
We'll see. The story was that Microsoft announced their intention to drop support for 95/98/ME and NI then decided to do the same. Supporting a product on all those old OS's is a major pain. Microsoft changed their mind but it was too late for NI to change 7.1. By the time 8.0 (or whatever the next release is) comes out, Microsoft may have changed their mind again.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,876 Views)
I appreciate the responses on the history of this situation. To be more specific about my situation: Can I develop the application in XP (or other windows), compile the as an executable (using the application builder), then deploy the executable into the windows 98 environment, and run using an E series DAQ? If so are there specific concerns, such as using an older version of NI-DAQ (6.6)?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,873 Views)
The installer that you create for the app will not run on a Win98 system because NI dropped support for it. I haven't ried it, but I believe you'll get the same error if you try to run the installation program for the 7.1 run-time engine. Even if you just did a copy of your executable to the Win98 system, it requires the 7.1 run-time engine so you still wouldn't be able to run the exe.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,859 Views)