LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I automatically get "This Connection is Required" on a VI's Connector Pane?

I waste a lot of time going through nearly every terminal of subVIs and selecting "This Connection is >> Required".

Is there a way to make "Required" the default, rather than "Recommended"? The "Required" state is very useful to me, since it ensures all my subVIs' terminals are wired. Tracking down unwired terminals can be very time consuming.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(4,335 Views)
I don't think there is a way to make "required" the default for all new VIs, but you can programmatically set it for any existing VI as follows.

Open a VI reference (the target VI must be in edit mode) to the desired VI and get property ConPane, of which you get property controls[]. Now iterate through them and set them to "required" using an invoke node. See attached image of a code draft I just made. Seems to work, just add error handling etc. 🙂

Message Edited by altenbach on 06-08-2005 02:49 PM

Message 2 of 15
(4,342 Views)
That'll do, thanks 😉
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,319 Views)
When I pop up on the first Property Node and select "Connector Pane", I what actually shows up is "ConPane", as shown in the attached picture, where your block diagram showed "Connector Pane".

That would be fine, except I can't change it to "Read"-- the "Change to Read" item on its popup is grayed out.

Any idea what is going on here?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(4,316 Views)
Mine is set to "Name format=long names" for clarity. Same difference in functionally. 😉

Anyway, you can just right-click directly on the ConPane entry and select "Change to read", don't right-click on the property node "header" for this.

What is your LabVIEW version? Works fine in 7.0 and 7.1, but in 6.1 I cannot change it to read. Weird!

Message Edited by altenbach on 06-08-2005 03:45 PM

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,311 Views)
I have LabVIEW version 7.1, and I changed the name format to long (that worked), clicked directly on that item, but I still can't set it to read.

Would you be kind enough to attach that dummy VI you built, so maybe it will fool my version of LabVIEW into thinking that property is readable?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,299 Views)
Very interesting. If I create a new property node in LabVIEW 7.1 it also does not work. If I make it In 7.0, take it into 7.1 and save it, it still works :).

See attached. I tested it and it seems to work.

(Weird thing: In 7.0, I actually have two "connector pane" entries in the pulldown. One defaults to read and one defaults to write).
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,297 Views)
Score!

I tested your attached VI, which I cannot create in 7.1 nor 7.0 nor 6.1. But your VI sneeeeked around my lame LabVIEW versions and made it happen, thx.

Prolly another LabVIEW bug, thanks for the useful tool.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,293 Views)
Hi Christian,

I could not duplicate your success with 6.1 7.0 or 7.1.

I read about a switch on the "LAVA" forum that would give you some extra (ah-hem) options. I think Jim Kring wrote up a warning connected with it.

So, maybe compare your ini file settings.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 10 of 15
(4,277 Views)