LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can FD for scan tool in Hybrid vehicle

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I´m looking for any info or professional assistance to make a vi capable of reading raw data from DLC connector on a 2020 hybrid vehicle, my equipment is a NI9862 and so far I´ve just been able to get little data stream from the vehicle. 

Any contact or professional support from this awesome community would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(1,738 Views)

Here's a good place to start... OBD2 Explained - A Simple Intro [2021]

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(1,711 Views)

@santo88 wrote:

Any contact or professional support from this awesome community would be greatly appreciated.

A location could be relevant...

Or are you open to remote support?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(1,688 Views)

that was actually a great base material, thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(1,679 Views)

Yes I'm based in South America, remote support would be great.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(1,678 Views)

Is there any resource or bibliography where it mentions how de CAN identifiers and addresses work for CAN FD, for instance I already have data from 11 bit identifiers giving me SAE PIDs, however I need access to more detailed manufacturer data. Any advice ?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(1,645 Views)

Did read all the references and external links from CAN FD - Wikipedia?

Especially Ref 1 and 2 and the first link should probably be learned by heart.

I'm no CAN expert, I've used it a few times, but never CAN FD. But that's where I would start. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(1,630 Views)

CAN FD is really no different from regular CAN except the payload is larger, if you want to access more detailed information you will need to tap into the powertrain CAN on the vehicle, the data you are most likely looing for will not be broadcast on OBD II.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(1,586 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author santo88

I have a CAN Blog if you are interested.  I would suggest Part 1, Part 2Part 5, and Part 14.  It sounds like you are able see a stream of data so that is good.  But understanding that data can be difficult.  A DBC file is like a translator, taking a stream of bytes and turning it into engineering units telling you things like temperature, pressure, RPM, voltages, and various status or fault messages.  What signals there are depends on what the manufacturer implemented.  How that data is packed is also up to the manufacturer, and what priority those messages have as well.  I've never been tasked with trying to decipher CAN data without a translator of some kind.  Looking at a stream of bytes, then turning on the turn signal to see what changed, sounds like a nightmare.

Message 9 of 10
(1,571 Views)

Thank you all for your advices and support, I´ll keep you updated from the development of the system.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(1,543 Views)