LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Calibration using Non-Coplanar 3D Grid

Hello,

I have been using the new LabView 2012 calibration toolbox, and it has been hugely helpful for me (before this I was using the Caltech Matlab Toolbox applying). The two are similar in that they both ask for multiple views of a freely moved coplanar calibration grid, and calculate the internal camera parameters, the homography (linear projections), and the stereo parameters together [Zhang 2000].

However, I am wondering whether the toolbox can instead handle a single view of a 3D calibration object, such as described in [Tsai 1987] and [Heikkila 1996]. I have a robot system and thus can afford these more stringent but accurate methods. Unfortunately, the IMAQ Calibration Target to Points - Circular Dots VI doesn't seem to allow me to access the input array of image coordinates (x,y) and world coordinates (X,Y,Z), unless I am doing something wrong. Otherwise, I'd be able to input X,Y,Z coordinates of extracted feature points, and let the rest of the LabView program go to town.

If any of the LabView engineers, or people in the LabView community, have an idea of implementing this function, I'd appreciate it greatly if we could discuss this topic. Otherwise perhaps we could build such a VI as part of the current calibration package.

Thank you and best regards,

Alvin

[1] Z. Zhang. A flexible new technique for camera calibration. Technical Report MSR-TR-98-71, Microsoft Research, 1998.

[2] [11] R. Y. Tsai. A versatile camera calibration technique for highaccuracy 3D machine metrology using off-the-shelf cameras and lenses. IEEE Journal of Robotics and Automation, 3(4):323–344, 1987.

[3] J. Heikkila. Geometric camera calibration using circular control points. IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1066-1077, Oct. 2000.

Message 1 of 2
(2,265 Views)

Can you provide some more information about the actual process you are hoping to perform for readers who do not have access to the articles you referenced?

Cameron T
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,232 Views)