cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculations with long equations

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Everyone,

I am getting data from several sensors and I want to do calculations with them via Labview. The equations are long. Whats the procedure or method to do this?

Regards,
Alexis Koulidis

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(3,313 Views)

Just implement the equations using LabVIEW code. Length is irrelevant.

If you tell us a little more about the problem, maybe we can give more specific advice. What does the formula do? How many inputs does it have?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(3,294 Views)

Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am getting data from 4 sensors, and I want calculate an other parameter that combines the sensors data with some constants.

Initially I was thinking to do with several Numeric and to each part of the addition, subtract or division separate, but I want to do all the calculations in once..If it is possible

I am giving an example of the formula: X,Y,Z and C are my input data from the sensors and 120,12,50 and 30 are constants

A = (120*pi*X)/(12*Y) + (Z*50)/(C+30)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,283 Views)

Personally, I find the Formula Node easier to read equations from (and therefore implement).  Others, like Altenbach, will go with the "pure" LabVIEW code (wire up all of the functions).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 17
(3,275 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alexis_Koul

@crossrulz wrote:

Personally, I find the Formula Node easier to read equations from (and therefore implement).  Others, like Altenbach, will go with the "pure" LabVIEW code (wire up all of the functions).

Excellent.  A solution for everyone's tastes.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 5 of 17
(3,261 Views)
Solution

Your solution looks excellent. One last question if I may. In your VI you put the X,Y,Z and C that you can put the values. In my case, I will just connect my data output correct with the numeric?

-Alexis

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,167 Views)
Solution

Though, a quick test show the formula node is noticably slower, so depending on your requirements it might be needed to use the nodes.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(3,148 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

Though, a quick test show the formula node is noticably slower, so depending on your requirements it might be needed to use the nodes.

I'd like to see your benchmark and results.  I know the formula node will eliminate parallelism, but I have trouble believing it will be "noticeable" on a small equation like this.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(3,140 Views)

@Alexis_Koul wrote:

Your solution looks excellent. One last question if I may. In your VI you put the X,Y,Z and C that you can put the values. In my case, I will just connect my data output correct with the numeric?

I would turn what I showed you into a VI on its own with the controls and indicator connected on the Connector Pane.  This small block is then easily testable and reusable.  Your main VI will then just call this equation VI, wiring up the values to the right inputs.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,139 Views)
Solution

FormulaNode.png

10M loops yields ~700 vs ~100ms (formula node in other case). So no, it's not noticable in a single run. But as i said, if the requirements are such that'll run many times in a tight loop, a factor of 8 is noticable. 🙂

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 10 of 17
(3,134 Views)