LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculate LEQ in full and 1/3 octaves

I have been tasked to calculate Leq in full and 1/3 octaves from my pressure traces I have already measured.

I have found the VI to calculate the Leq final number from my pressure trace.

Thanks Rohan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(1,414 Views)

When you are ready for us to help, please post a clear question and the relevant part of the code. 

Doug
NI Sound and Vibration
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(1,403 Views)

Doug,

I do not have any code at the moment as I cannot find any details that LabVIEW can calculate Leq in octaves.

I already have a program that will give me a single Leq number from my test measurements.

The engineer who has tasked me wanted the Leq results in octaves like you are able to get from B&K sound level meters.

Rohan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(1,389 Views)

Hi Rohan,

@R_ATS wrote:

I have been tasked to calculate Leq in full and 1/3 octaves from my pressure traces I have already measured.

What's the problem when you already "found the VI to calculate the Leq"?

When starting a thread in a public forum with a very specific question it often helps to provide as much information as possible!

• What is "Leq"? Why don't you provide an explanation or a link to a website doing so?
  • Do you know the formula to calculate Leq?
  • Where are you stuck?
  • Which errors do you encounter?
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(1,371 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi Rohan,

@R_ATS wrote:

What's the problem when you already "found the VI to calculate the Leq"?

When starting a thread in a public forum with a very specific question it often helps to provide as much information as possible!

• What is "Leq"? Why don't you provide an explanation or a link to a website doing so?
  • Where are you stuck?
  • Which errors do you encounter?

Sometimes users are so busy describing the issue they forget to ask the question.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(1,359 Views)

If you have access to the Sound and Vibration Toolkit, you can use the fractional octave VIs to calculate band power in each octave. Use linear averaging in the octave VIs, and then take the square root of the band power to get the equivalent level.

Doug
NI Sound and Vibration
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(1,354 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Leq is a interesting (and fairly obscure) measure of "equivalent continuous sound level" that seems to require sampling (ambient?) sound/noise over an extended period of time and doing a particular kind of averaging of sound energy .  Finding a cogent description of what this is and the proper way to measure/quantitate this probably requires someone trained in acoustics, perhaps from a standpoint of "noise exposure".  I don't have an algorithm (and haven't seen one) to calculate this quantity.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(1,339 Views)

Hi Bob,

thanks for explanations.

I already found out about Leq on my own using Google and this (German) website - it also shows some formulas and graphs…

My point to the OP: when you ask questions for very specific problems you should (atleast) explain all the abbrevations you use in your question!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(1,326 Views)

I do not have any code at the moment as I cannot find any details that LabVIEW can calculate Leq in octaves.

I already have a program that will give me a single Leq number from my test measurements.

The engineer who has tasked me wanted the Leq results in octaves like you are able to get from B&K sound level meters.

Leq in 1_3 Octave Bands.png

Hopefully, this snippet gets you started. The snippet does use Sound and Vibration Toolkit VIs. 

Doug
NI Sound and Vibration
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(1,312 Views)

Thank you.

I will have to get a copy of LabVIEW 2020 as some of these features are not in 2018.

Yesterday I recorded some sound pressure levels using a B&K sound level meter and had its DC output going into my data acquisition so now I have a recorded sound pressure trace i pascals that I can process in LabVIEW and the LZeq 1/3 octaves that have been calculated in the B&K SLM, which will allow me to check my results.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(1,300 Views)