From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRIO-9039 can't run same time as VISA-Read

Hi, 

I'm using the CRIO-9039 for a motor-control application, and at the same time, I also need to do a VISA read so I can use UART to communicate with my microcontroller.  

However, whenever I'm connected to the CRIO-9039, I am NOT able to do a VISA read/write and I'm getting this error (see attachment).

I am able to do a VISA Read/Write when CRIO-9039 is disconnected.

Do you know how I can fix this?  Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,056 Views)

Hi, 

I'm using the CRIO-9039 for a motor-control application, and at the same time, I also need to do a VISA read so I can use UART to communicate with my microcontroller.  

However, whenever I'm connected to the CRIO-9039, I am NOT able to do a VISA read/write and I'm getting this error (see attachment).

I am able to do a VISA Read/Write when CRIO-9039 is disconnected.

Do you know how I can fix this?  Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,056 Views)

Hey Amy4082001,

I found a similar forum post where another customer ran into the same error when trying to communicate with their PIC microcontroller. Take a look at it, and let me know if that helps! It seems to have to do with how the port is being set up, so I would check that first

Error -1073807360 occurred at Property Node (are 😎 in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi->practise.vi

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/Error-1073807360-occurred-at-Property-Node-a...

Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(2,997 Views)

Hi,

That thread wasn't helpful.  I think my issue is that I am running the CRIO-9039 at the same time I am running my VISA READ (through the COM port). If I disconnect the CRIO-9039, then I can run VISA READ, so I know my COM port and VISA READ codes are ok.

My question is - how do I run both CRIO-9039 and VISA READ at the same time? I tried adding my Labview VI that includes the VISA READ to the CRIO project, but when I did that, I don't see my VISA resource name, and therefore cannot run the VISA READ function.

For my application, I am using the CRIO-9039 to control some motors, and I'm using the VISA READ to read data from a microcontroller that is connected to some sensors.  I need both of them running synchronously so I can control the motors while reading sensor data at the same time.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(2,981 Views)

Hi amyle,

If you were to run the code in highlight execution, when exactly does the error occur in your code. This is a generic error, so there may be an underlying error that we are not seeing, which can be found when using highlight execution.

Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(2,976 Views)

Hi, I found an NI website that talks about this https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019NYISA2, and I tried to follow it but still doesn't work. In NI-MAX, I set ASRL2::INSTR = COM4 (see pic1 in attachment). I'm thinking that I'm doing something wrong with this step. 

If I save my Labview VI under the "NI-cRIO-9039-Sync-01C9AA35" project, I can see ASRL2::INSTR, but when I ran the code, there's no error BUT I don't see anything coming from VISA READ (see pic2 in attachment). This is what I'm trying to do. 

If I save my Labview VI on a computer and execute it using COM4, then it works and I can see VISA READ data (see pic3 in attachment). However, I am not trying to do this since I need to sync my cRIO-9039 motor data with my VISA READ data. 

If I save my Labview VI on a computer and execute it using what I assume is ASRL2:INSTR, then I get the an " 0xBFFF0072" error right at the output of the VISA Configuration Serial Port (see pic4 in attachment).  Again, this is also not my objective since I really need to save my Labview VI under the "NI-cRIO-9039-Sync-01C9AA35" instead of the computer.  

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(2,945 Views)

Hi, I found an NI website that talks about this https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019NYISA2, and I tried to follow it but still doesn't work. In NI-MAX, I set ASRL2::INSTR = COM4 (see pic1 in attachment). I'm thinking that I'm doing something wrong with this step. 

If I save my Labview VI under the "NI-cRIO-9039-Sync-01C9AA35" project, I can see ASRL2::INSTR, but when I ran the code, there's no error BUT I don't see anything coming from VISA READ (see pic2 in attachment). This is what I'm trying to do. 

If I save my Labview VI on a computer and execute it using COM4, then it works and I can see VISA READ data (see pic3 in attachment). However, I am not trying to do this since I need to sync my cRIO-9039 motor data with my VISA READ data. 

If I save my Labview VI on a computer and execute it using what I assume is ASRL2:INSTR, then I get the an " 0xBFFF0072" error right at the output of the VISA Configuration Serial Port (see pic4 in attachment).  Again, this is also not my objective since I really need to save my Labview VI under the "NI-cRIO-9039-Sync-01C9AA35" instead of the computer.  By the way, I researched this " 0xBFFF0072" error and made sure I don't have any other hyperterminal (i.e.Putty) open.  

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(2,945 Views)

Hi, I found a website that talks about this https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019NYISA2, and I tried to implement those instruments but it still doesn't work (see pic1 in attachment). 

When I add my Labview VI to the Real Time CRIO-9039 project, I see the ASRL1:INSTR and ASRL2:INSTR under my Visa resources (see pic2 in attachment).  I tried selecting the "ASRL1:INSTR", ran my VI, there's no error, but there's no data coming out of VISA READ.  

When my Labview VI is in a "C:\" location and NOT in the Real Time CRIO-9039 project, I see a few options under my Visa resources (see pic3 in attachment).  When I select "COM4", ran my VI, I was able to get the correct data.  

When my Labview VI is in a "C:\" location and NOT in the Real Time CRIO-9039 project, I tried selecting the "VISA://10.1.30.106//ASRL1::INSTR", and I get a 0xBFFF0072 error (see pic4 in attachment) right after the Visa Configure Serial Port.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(2,951 Views)

@Amy4082001 wrote:

When I add my Labview VI to the Real Time CRIO-9039 project, I see the ASRL1:INSTR and ASRL2:INSTR under my Visa resources (see pic2 in attachment).  I tried selecting the "ASRL1:INSTR", ran my VI, there's no error, but there's no data coming out of VISA READ.  

When my Labview VI is in a "C:\" location and NOT in the Real Time CRIO-9039 project, I see a few options under my Visa resources (see pic3 in attachment).  When I select "COM4", ran my VI, I was able to get the correct data.  

So why are you first selecting one port on the the cRIO and then in the next test you are selecting another port? 

Make sure that you are testing the SAME port "ASRL2:INSTR", aka "COM4" in both your test.  

And what are you then trying to do?

What is your end goal?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(2,938 Views)

Hi,

My goal is to be able to control some motors in real time using the CRIO-9039, and at the same time, capture some sensor data using a microcontroller via VISA READ.  Here are my steps:

1. To synchronize motors and sensors data, I need to be able to do a VISA READ in the same VI as my CRIO-9039 project
  2. I connected my microcontroller's UART to the computer via "COM4"
  3. However, when I add the VISA READ to a VI in my CRIO-9039 project, I don't see the VISA Resources "COM4"; I only see "ASRL1::INSTR", "ASRL2::INSTR".
  4. I was able to find an NI website that described this issue: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019NYISA2 
  5. I followed the advice from this NI website (see pic 1 in attachment).  However, when I went back to the VI in the CRIO-9039 project, I am still UNABLE to do a VISA READ.  There's no error that pops up and the VI still runs, but I'm continuously getting 0 from the VISA READ.
  6. Am I configuring the Devices and Interfaces incorrectly? How come I keep reading 0 from VISA READ? 

To verify that my VISA READ and hardware are functioning correctly, I did the following:

1. Create a new VI to do a VISA READ , save this VI in a C:\ folder and not in the CRIO-9039 project.  
  2. When I look under the Visa Resources, I can see the "COM4" (see pic3).  If I select "COM4", then I can run my VISA READ and capture sensor data just fine. 

Thank you.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(2,913 Views)