LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR3000 driver to use in LabVIEW

Hello All;

I have a CR3000 Micrologger from Campbell Scientific, and I would like to interface it with the PC using the RS-232 port. I would also like to use LabVIEW as a programming environment to Read/Write data from/to the CR3000.

It there any Driver specific for the CR3000 to be used in LabVIEW through the RS-232 port?

Looking forward to your valuable replies.

Thank you.

Tarek

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,785 Views)

There are no drivers for that instrument in the Instrument Driver Network. Writing an instrument driver isn't all that hard. You should first see if there's a driver for a similar instrument available that you can use. You can also look over this tutorial. Other resources are available. LabVIEW has an Instrument Driver Wizard that you can use to create a boilerplate.

Before you do any of that, though, you should verify that you can communicate with the instrument. Use a terminal program to work out any communication issues, such as serial communication parameters or cable issues (such as whether you need a straight or null modem cable). On Windows HyperTerminal is your best bet. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,773 Views)

Hello;

Thank you fo yor reply.

The Datasheet o the instrment states that you can directly connect it to the PC through the RS-232 port. I assume this confirms the comunication possibility with the instrument.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,769 Views)
It would. But you'll need to know the serial communication parameters like baud rate, stop bits, parity, etc. You will also need the set of commands. All of this should be in the instrument's manuals.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,766 Views)

The Instrument supports Modbus Protocol. Knowing the message format, and all its asects, I assume I can use the Modbus Library for LabVIEW to accomplish this.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,758 Views)
If it's MODBUS then, yes, you should use that. You can read a tutorial on MODBUS.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,751 Views)