From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU usage rises in LabVIEW executable

I probably solved the problem here as well.

After copying the block diagram into a blank vi (Labview 2012) now everything works fine for the last 24h (new record).

Best regards

transfererror

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 35
(1,512 Views)

Nope, no solution, here.

After 36 h cpu load rose again in the moment of connecting remotely (with resolution change).

Mass compiling didn't help either.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 35
(1,496 Views)

Update of status quo:

I'm running three monitoring vi's, originally written in Labview 7.1 an 8.2.1, on a Windows 8.1 PC in Labview 2012. I have access to this computer only via remote software (remote desktop or teamviewer).

I found out that each program causes the CPU load problem when switching the desktop resolution.

I no longer think, that it has something to do with remote access software. With teamviewer one can easily change the resolution and this change definitely triggers the error.

The main problem is, that I can't find any reproducible circumstances.

This is, what happend today:

- connected remotely to monitoring PC (in this moment the desktop resolution is set)

- CPU high

- I was able to stop all running vis (this is not always possible)

- CPU high

- closed all vis (this is not always possible) but didn't close Labview

- CPU low

- started "CPU Usage LV821.vi" (see attachment)

- CPU low

- changed teamviewer resolution

- CPU high

- stopped "CPU Usage LV821.vi"

- CPU high

- closed "CPU Usage LV821.vi"

- CPU low

- started "CPU Usage LV821.vi" and changed resolution several times.

- sometime CPU high, sometimes CPU low

I could not get "CPU high" with deactivated waveform chart!

But I was watching the CPU load of the labview thread (with task manager) while switching the resolution. Everytime I do so, CPU load rises a little bit for a short moment. Whatever is running in this moment, I think that this module causes the error (graphic memory overflow?)

Any ideas

transfererror

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 35
(1,475 Views)

Hello,

I figured out something new:

I'm connecting to my remote (measuring) PC via another desktop PC or laptop. When I do so, I normally use the the full resolution of the client computer (1280*1024 or 1376*768, respectively).

Now I can see (with the help of a vi, running on the measuring PC, which I can see via the labview web server), that after logging off of the measuring PC, that the resolution switches back to 1024*768. This seems to be some kind of a default resolution as long as nobody's watching.

This means: everytime I connect or disconnect to or from the measuring PC I cause a change of resolution as long as I do not use the poor resolution of 1024*768.

And as I meantioned above: the changes of resolution are causing my high CPU load problem.

transfererror

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 35
(1,452 Views)

Hi transfererror,

It is normal that you experience a CPU spike when changing the screen resolution if you are remoting in. I just tested your VI and am seeing small spikes. However, I could not keep the CPU stay high for more than a second or so (which is expected):

Capture.PNG

At this point, could you send a screenshot of your front panel, just to see how long it stays high?

Xavier
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 35
(1,444 Views)

I'm able to replicate the failure even running labview code (not just exe) after resizing the VM Fusion 6.0.2 window (which act like screen resize).

Please note cpu stuck to max usage till any "menu" droplist is display. As soon as close the "menu" droplist, application request again max cpu usage:

labview1.png

labview2.png

I could share full labview code to NI dev team if needed. Please contact me via private email for detail.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Marco.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 35
(1,438 Views)

Please also note once the issue is detected, the cpu stuck at max even with NO vi open/running (with same exception related to "menu" droplist showed or not):

labview3.png

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 35
(1,433 Views)

@mberetta: thanks for confirming the error.

@xaww: in the last 36 h the error didn't occur. But as mberetta said: the high cpu load doesn't dissappear until the user closes all VIs (the thing with menu droplist is new for me. And I haven't tested it yet.). In rare cases I have to kill Labview via the task manager.

transfererror

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 35
(1,419 Views)

Now CPU high load error occured again, and I was able to confirm mberetta's observation:

The high CPU load drops down for the time the droplist of the menu bar is visible. Strange.

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 35
(1,405 Views)

Finally I'm happy: with Labview 2013 I don't have this problem anymore 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 35
(1,359 Views)