From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Usage jumps to 100%

I've installed LV as a student week ago, I have been encountering problems with CPU usage that jumps to 100% suddenly.After casually using computer for 3-5 hours (Not using LV) CPU Usage just jumps to 100% and I have to restart PC.Since this started bothering me.I unnistalled it and it worked fine again.Now I have MS + UB on my PC and I am encountering the same problem again.Any idea what causes this ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(4,530 Views)

What is "MS + UB" ? Please be more specific!

If you look at the task manager, what is the name of the process that has high CPU usage?

What is your OS?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(4,525 Views)

Multisim and Ultiboard. The only thing that has somewhat high CPU usage is Google chrome. I use Win 7.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,521 Views)

@Exorath wrote:

The only thing that has somewhat high CPU usage is Google chrome.

Is that when the CPU is actually 100% or just now?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(4,503 Views)

That's when the CPU is actually 100%

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,499 Views)

If you're picking up MS and UB as a student, I'm going to guess you're looking at electrical engineering.

Using that experience, if you look at CPU usage at 100% with Chrome being the highest user, which app do you think is pushing the CPU usage up?  Instead of rebooting, did you try killing Chrome?

Based on the limited information you've shared, I'm assuming you don't have any LabVIEW applications running when you see the CPU rail.  Is that right?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,445 Views)

Killing almost everything to make CPU usage go lower didnt help and since we were told in school that we wont need UB + MS until next month I decided to unninstall everything that is somewhat connected with NI and I dont get the random CPU usage jumps again.I dont know if there is some updater on background that makes insane CPU usage or something.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,400 Views)

When you install LabVIEW, you do get the NI Update Service (which runs as a Service), but this shouldn't be hogging the CPU.  Are you installing a lot to Toolkits and Modules?  What version of LabVIEW are you installing?  I notice that the default Installation choices for Academic 2015 distributions is "Install Almost Everything", which you (almost surely) do not want to do!  In fact, I turn off "almost everything" ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,388 Views)

I am currently first year in High school and we only need Multisim and Ultiboard and I dont have LV installed.Because of some misunderstanding in communication between school and NI we (whole class) only got LV and not LV + UB + MS so I downloaded the trial version for 44 days and that was the only thing I had from NI on my computer.No one in class seems to have the same problem so that's kinda bothering me. Multisim and Ultiboard were the newest version.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,345 Views)

It is difficult to analyze without actually having access to the computer.

• Do you have a relatively small amount of RAM?
  • Do you have any kind of unusual antivirus or other security software installed?
  • Did it do some windows updates recently?

Chrome is relatively greedy and tries to use as much RAM as it can. Each tab is its own process. (Which is a good thing. Unused RAM is useless as long as it can be released to other applcations if they need it).

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,337 Views)