LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CNC in labview

I am planning to create a cnc machine simulation in solid works that is controlled by a labview software. What I want is that I have the g code for a product and I will enter it to labview and the cnc machine will move on the g code path. I want some guidance on how to approach this project.

I am just a beginner in this so any kind of help will be highly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,138 Views)

Hi hassan,

@hassan98 wrote:

I am planning to create a cnc machine simulation in solid works that is controlled by a labview software. What I want is that I have the g code for a product and I will enter it to labview and the cnc machine will move on the g code path. I want some guidance on how to approach this project.

I am just a beginner in this so any kind of help will be highly appreciated. 

You should take these steps:

Learn LabVIEW.

Learn G code. (the CNC kind of G, not the LabVIEW kind of G…)

Learn how to control SolidWorks from LabVIEW.

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,098 Views)

I know the basics of these software. What I was hoping for was a similar project, anything related to CNC programming in labview (if someone has done it) so I can get an idea and built on that. 

The main problem I am facing is somehow converting G code or a cad/drawing into a command in labview.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,076 Views)

NI Softmotion (which I think is being discontinued, not 100%) can talk to Solidworks to do simulated toolpaths. AFAIK you can just send it a position target and Solidworks takes care of the interpolation stuff.

From there, it's just a matter of parsing the Gcode. For simple position moves it'd be simple enough to parse each line with Scan from String or similar, since there will only be a handful of Gcode commands to execute (G00 and G01, if memory serves, and a couple more if you're using arc moves).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,070 Views)

Hello, i am also doing a similar project for as my thesis project, would you mind sharing any documentation with me,

it would be a great help

email: yyyad522@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,970 Views)