cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLD exam and auto reset Elapsed Time

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I would like to know if someone could explain me why the auto reset function of the Express VI Elapsed Time does not work on the attached code for the Boiler CLD exam.

The auto reset option only works when I wire the "Set Start time"  from the cluster (current time in the previous state) into the "Set start time" of the Express VI Elapsed Time and I set up the Restart and Auto restart inputs to True.

This happens in both states "Pre-Purge B" and "Shutdown"

I have tried without subVIs and with subVIs but I do not understand why the auto rest does not work.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,709 Views)

That is because you have the Reset input wired to a TRUE.  Therefore, your elapsed time should always be 0.  Do not wire that input.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,699 Views)

Sorry, that wasn't the last version of the code. The one I attach now is the one with Reset unwired and the auto reset = true and it does not work

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,691 Views)

It works just fine.  You just did not update the status indicator when the time does elapse.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,678 Views)

Thank you for you help.

However, only works fine the first time the sequence of steps is run. If I want to start the boiler and carry out the sequence again (without stopping the main running), after clicking "shutdown" button , the Boiler VI jumps over the "Pre purge B" state as the Express VI Elapsed Time has not been auto reset (I do not why). The same occurred the second time I click the shutdown button, the VI jump over the count to stop the boiler running.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,670 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lorache

The AutoReset causes a reset from when the time had elapsed.  So it is using the time from the end of the previous run as the start time.

So what you should do is turn the AutoReset off and just reset the time when you first enter that state.  This would be one of the few good places to use the stacked shift register.

GCentral
Message 6 of 9
(3,661 Views)

I usually wire the "Time has elapsed" output to the "Reset" input via a shift register, initializing the shift register with TRUE.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 7 of 9
(3,645 Views)

Crossrulz, Thank  you very much for you help!

I still don't understand why the Express VI Elapsed Time does not Auto reset when the time has elapsed to be ready for the second time the sequence is run. I guess I need more practise to understand it 100%. For now, I am happy with your solution of the stacked shift register.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,594 Views)

Here is an older post from me when I was just preparing for my CLD exam a few years ago. I simply did not like the Elapsed Time Express VI, so I designed some own variants. Try to put similar Timer subVIs together, this is a good way to practice for the exam! Also, when "it is in your head", it takes like 2 minutes to put together such timer VI which will act exactly as you want, and not as that Express VI was designed...

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Certification/timer-with-separated-input-settings/m-p/3045387

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,573 Views)