From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLAD Exam

Even bad interfaces once they become the de facto standard should not be changed for this reason.  The "qwerty" is an excellent example.  This interface was chosen to REDUCE productivity, in the original typewriter (I know there are a few in this forum which dont know what a typewriter is, yes they did exist) an alphabetic keyboard was used and the mechanical keys would stick or jam when typed too quickly.  This is nolonger the case but different style interfaces have not thrived because it would take to long to retrain everyone.  It is odd that UI improvements dont always improve things so NI should give the user an easy switch most likely during the installation on the interface that we prefer to use.

Paul

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(1,695 Views)

Some people claim that the Dvorak layout, other than being faster to work with, is also more healthy to you because it puts less strain on the ligaments in your hand.  I never actually tried it, because I don't do too much typing, and it would probably require putting some stickers on my keyboard to get used to it, but maybe I will try it. I know there are some drivers which allow you to change the layout programmatically.

@falkpl wrote:

NI should give the user an easy switch most likely during the installation on the interface that we prefer to use.

This would probably be a problem over time. If you have to maintain the interface options you had 4 versions ago just because some users got used to it it would add a lot of overhead to your development process.

(1,682 Views)
Yes I have heard that the dvorak is more efficient and is supported in windows under the control panel but havent ever seen anyone use it.  I us Labview programmers are the only ones who wouldnt benefit from it since G requires almost no typing.
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(1,670 Views)
I switched to Dvorak a few years ago to force myself to learn to touch type.  I haven't gone back...
----
I am the founder of CnCSoftwareSolutions. When not cleaning up baby drool, I write about test data or work on Vision, a tool for understanding your test data. Visit me at www.cncsoftwaresolutions.com
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(1,659 Views)
They have managed to have essentially the same interface for several generations, and have provided the ability to easily configure the interface to resemble the older ones until now. I'm not sure who makes the decision of what makes a "better" interface, but it does cost those of us who have used it regularly for years a lot of productivity. The bottom line though, returning to the original thread's questions, when you are preparing for the CLD (vs CLAD), try and find out what version the "practical" part of the exam (where you write a program) will be given in so that you can be familiar with the environment. Time is the enemy in the exam. You are given a problem (in writing, Oh, No those dreaded "word problems") which you must first figure out how to solve. Then you must create a program to solve this problem, using the currently in vogue techniques (not a good idea to have too many sequence structures!), with the appropriate (determined by the exam graders) amount of documentation of the code. "trick", after changing the interface to that that resembled the "pre-7.x" version (about a minute or so) was to create a template, with the VI Properties "Documentation" having some of the data prefilled. Everything to save time (not to mention that is how I do it for "real"). One problem with the exam is that you get your results back, with comments, but you don't get to see the original exam, so unless your memory is really good, they aren't much help.  For the CLAD part of the exams my only comment is to take any practice exams and try and remember all the minutia. I didn't do as well on that part (because I was worried about my car being towed!) as I would hope, realized that there are parts of LabVIEW that I know through "manual memory" rather than intellectually, getting back to the annoyance of changing environments.

To all taking the exams, good luck and try again if you don't have success the first time.

P.M.

Ben, you were grandfathered!? Hey, I'm older than you!

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 15 of 20
(1,649 Views)

Here is a link to the world's fastest typist. 150 wpm for 50 minutes. How many wires would this take??

http://sominfo.syr.edu/facstaff/dvorak/blackburn.html

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(1,642 Views)
The key part of the article, to me, is that she carried her own typewriter with her. You get good with the Dvorak keyboard and then go to a customer site ... As to how many wires, well it depends on the language. In APL it might only take 5 characters (typed on an even weirder keyboard).

P.M.

Message Edited by LV_Pro on 01-24-2006 02:22 PM

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 17 of 20
(1,635 Views)

Could I ask you one question,please?

I've passed   "the LabVIEW Fundamentals Exam".How could I see the list of people passed this one ?

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(1,268 Views)
Although you will find a list of CLAD's and of higher certifications,
I doubt if such a list is maintained for LabVIEW Fundamentals Exam
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(1,264 Views)

Hey Putnam!!

Looks like you're as ancient as I am.  I used to be a wiz at APL.  Even have a PC version of it.  Shame it died.  I thought it was WAY better than C (at the time).  OK... forget embedded, but wow, it could crunch numbers faster than anything at the time.  ANd yes, you had to change the keyboard keys, 'cause it was "s-p-e-c-i-a-l".  😄

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(1,223 Views)