LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLA Architecture Choice

@MarcDub wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

The only requirement AFAIK is to place all given requirements so CLDs will know what to do.

I am pretty sure that you have to provide either a skeleton of code or precise instructions for the developer. Just putting the requirement tags is not enough to get the points (copying and pasting the requirements from the requirement document is not good enough either).

I think that you should assume that your developer is a CLAD at best and that you need to give him explicit and detailed instructions. If you just copy the requirements, why does a CLA need to be involved?

I'd like to know how the Alliance partners here handle this, as I would expect the test to follow this roadmap, in terms of expectations.  I would say generally CLA delegates to CLD(s) who (may) delegate to CLAD(s), so I would say the target audience would be CLD.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 11 of 16
(503 Views)

I am not saying that it is a model to follow, I am saying that if you want to pass the exam, it is better to assume that your developer is dumb as an anvil. You won't lose point for that. But if you assume a too clever CLD as your developer, then you might fail.

Work out the architecture very quickly and then focus on the requirements. Look at the practice exams; the structure of your CLA exam will be the same, only the specific requirements are different. The architecture should take about 1 hour, and use the rest for the specific requirements.

At least, that is what I would recommend.

Marc Dubois
Message 12 of 16
(497 Views)

@MarcDub wrote:

I am not saying that it is a model to follow, I am saying that if you want to pass the exam, it is better to assume that your developer is dumb as an anvil. You won't lose point for that. But if you assume a too clever CLD as your developer, then you might fail.

Work out the architecture very quickly and then focus on the requirements. Look at the practice exams; the structure of your CLA exam will be the same, only the specific requirements are different. The architecture should take about 1 hour, and use the rest for the specific requirements.

At least, that is what I would recommend.

Good point.  Just like the CLD exam, there are things you do to pass the exam that may not necessarily be what you do in real life.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 13 of 16
(492 Views)

@billko wrote:

@MarcDub wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

The only requirement AFAIK is to place all given requirements so CLDs will know what to do.

I am pretty sure that you have to provide either a skeleton of code or precise instructions for the developer. Just putting the requirement tags is not enough to get the points (copying and pasting the requirements from the requirement document is not good enough either).

I think that you should assume that your developer is a CLAD at best and that you need to give him explicit and detailed instructions. If you just copy the requirements, why does a CLA need to be involved?

I'd like to know how the Alliance partners here handle this, as I would expect the test to follow this roadmap, in terms of expectations.  I would say generally CLA delegates to CLD(s) who (may) delegate to CLAD(s), so I would say the target audience would be CLD.

In practice, you delegate to whoever is available 🙄.

Now, we expect the people we hire to be smart, regardless the certification. Smart enough to follow instructions. So it becomes more a matter of giving enough instructions for the person doing the work to not fail. This can be "fix this" to "make this VI this way"...

Character also comes into play here. Some CLAs will struggle way to long if they can't manage, others raise a flag from the start if they don't see the way to go.

Giving people challenging work is also a good way to educate them. It should OK if they fail sometimes, if you keep the damage under control.

The best way to keep things rolling is to keep a dialog going. Daily meetings, that should take only 15 minutes (for 10 people). And talking during coffee breaks.

Message 14 of 16
(472 Views)

@MarcDub wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Of course you can't copy the requirements and hand them over.

That is why I said "place all given requirements so CLDs will know what to do".

I don't think you have to actually make a skeleton though. You should provide enough instructions to make an application. I do prefer to do this in a VI, with a skeleton programmed, but I don't think it's required.

@MarcDub wrote:

I think the instructions are for CLDs, that should be given enough information to make everything.

The CLA should make clear what the plan is, somehow. Executing it isn't required.

With all respect, I know people who didn't even install LabVIEW that passed CLAD. Just memorizing the 2 or 3 example exams gives you 60%, common sense gets you to a 70-90%, even without any LabVIEW knowledge. At least, that's how it worked for them.

If I had to work out a CLA exam in 4 hours to the level any CLAD can execute it, I'd prefer to actually program all functionality myself.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(469 Views)

@AldhairGarza wrote:

I think that's the hard part, figuring out where to stop coding and just write comments.

Yes! And if you realize that after 2 hours into the exam, your probably too late.

Message 16 of 16
(466 Views)