LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLA Architecture Choice

Hi there,

My CLD is going to expire on January 2023, so I have a bit more than 1 year to prepare for the CLA.

So my question is, what Architecture did you use?

Did you guys used Object Oriented, Actor Framework, QDMH?

I read that you should use and advanced architecture, do you know if it is a bad Idea to use a Queued State Machine?

Or did anybody use a Queued/Event Driven State machine?

I read that you should  use the Architecture you are most comfortable with and you should have experience architecting projects.

Regards.

=======
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@LV_Lab

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(2,035 Views)

@AldhairGarza wrote:

Hi there,

My CLD is going to expire on January 2023, so I have a bit more than 1 year to prepare for the CLA.

I read that you should use and advanced architecture, do you know if it is a bad Idea to use a Queued State Machine?

I read that you should  use the Architecture you are most comfortable with and you should have experience architecting projects.

Regards.

I think it matters more that you stay consistent with whatever architecture you are going with, and that whatever you choose is maintainable and scalable.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 2 of 16
(2,007 Views)

I think you should stay with what you know. I have heard of some people trying to switch to Actor Framework just for the test but even if AF is objectively good for the CLA (not saying it is or isn't) if you don't regularly use AF you're probably not going to use the framework correctly.

You could have a QSM in some part of your system but you're almost certainly going to need more than one for an appropriate design (maybe you have some very clever solution I hadn't thought of though).

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 3 of 16
(1,974 Views)

Another thing to consider is that 3rd party frameworks are currently (as of October 2021) not allowed on the CLA exam. So you'll either need to roll your own during exam time (which plenty of people do), or use one of the frameworks that ships with LabVIEW (NI QMH or Actor Framework).

Message 4 of 16
(1,957 Views)

I remember using simple QMH. Key was to create template in lvlib and then us save as 'x' 6 times for all required modules. It does not have to work or be nice.

Message 5 of 16
(1,897 Views)

@AldhairGarza wrote:

Hi there,

OO isn't really an architecture. It is complementary to other architectures\frameworks.

I used 'pure' OO.

I did arrange things as a Model\View\Controller, as this fits CLA exams pretty well. The examples of course, we're not allowed to talk about the real exams 😑.

Usually there are some simulated vs physical devices, that perfectly fit OO, regardless the architecture.

Note that although an inheritance hierarchy fits perfectly, you shouldn't have to make this. Making a parent and 2 children is a lot more work (more then 3X) that making just a parent. So don't do that. Put the directions in there, telling your virtual CLDs what to do. That's the point of the CLA exam... 

In practice, the MVC can be as simple as 3 loops, communicating with e.g. channel wires. And you don't even have to make that, as long as you describe it...

Message 6 of 16
(1,875 Views)

As Darren mentioned, you cannot use 3rd party frameworks like DQMH.

Have a look at the sample exams and practice. The architecture should be the easy part for a CLA. The hard part should be meeting the requirements so plan your time accordingly.

Marc Dubois
Message 7 of 16
(1,848 Views)

@MarcDub wrote:

As Darren mentioned, you cannot use 3rd party frameworks like DQMH.

Have a look at the sample exams and practice. The architecture should be the easy part for a CLA. The hard part should be meeting the requirements so plan your time accordingly.

The only requirement AFAIK is to place all given requirements so CLDs will know what to do.

It's much more of an administration test, at least if 'architecture' is 2nd nature, as it should if you do CLA. 

Theoretically, you should be able to hand in a word document, describing how the application should be build. Including where to implement all the given requirements. I chickened out and didn't try, and made an actual VI with those details instead...

Message 8 of 16
(1,831 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

The only requirement AFAIK is to place all given requirements so CLDs will know what to do.

I am pretty sure that you have to provide either a skeleton of code or precise instructions for the developer. Just putting the requirement tags is not enough to get the points (copying and pasting the requirements from the requirement document is not good enough either).

I think that you should assume that your developer is a CLAD at best and that you need to give him explicit and detailed instructions. If you just copy the requirements, why does a CLA need to be involved?

Marc Dubois
Message 9 of 16
(1,826 Views)

I think that's the hard part, figuring out where to stop coding and just write comments.

=======
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@LV_Lab

Message 10 of 16
(1,818 Views)