From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

By Using SMTP protocol, how can I read incoming E-mail and delete old emails.

By Using SMTP protocol, how can I read incoming E-mail and delete old emails.

It is a part of my application. My system will email me about any warning message or Alarm and I reply them. I want to automatically read the reply message and decide what to do such as ignore warning, turn of the Alarm or restart the system

I appreciate your help and contributions in NI Discussion forums    

Thank you,

Amit

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,865 Views)
Amit,
The SMTP functionality of the VIs in LabVIEW are limited to sending VIs. LabVIEW has no built in email client. You'd have to use a 3rd party program to receive your emails, such as MS Outlook. Many programs can be controlled using ActiveX so that may be your best bet.

Other LabVIEW users have asked the same question. Check out check email server discussion forum. In it, one user describes how to check a POP account with LabVIEW, but not SMTP.

In any event, I'd try ActiveX and third party software. Let us know what you find...

Chris C

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,851 Views)
Thank you Chris

I tried POP3 email server and it worked. I create POP3 email account in MS Outlook.  MSOutlook >> Tools >> E-mail Account >> Add a new e-mail accout >> POP3 and set user name, password and E-mail server name.  After that I used NI pop3 toolkit to read and delete emails.  But I am wondering about ActiveX and third party software. So can you please give some info on which ActiveX and third party software available?

Thank you,

Amit  

Message Edited by amittpatel@yahoo.com on 08-23-2006 12:43 PM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,841 Views)

I also try MSOutlook application controls to read or delete incoming E-mails.

What I means is in LabView >> Functions >> Application Controls and use open App reference, Property node and Invoke Node using these tools. But so far I could not get it.

Some hint might be great.

Thank you,

Amit

Message Edited by amittpatel@yahoo.com on 08-23-2006 12:51 PM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,842 Views)
Amit,
The "LabView >> Functions >> Application Controls " syntax is a commonly used way of describing how to navigate through the functions \ controls palette. So in our example, the "LabView >> Functions >> Application Controls and use open App reference" means the Open Application Reference.vi located at the following location in the functions palette:

Here is a help file on using the VI server called Building VI Server Applications I think you'll find useful. There is also a tutorial on ActiveX and LabVIEW you might find useful.

Chris C

Message Edited by Chris_C. on 08-24-2006 09:27 AM

Message 5 of 6
(3,828 Views)

Hello Chris C

Thank you very much, I it a great help for a beginner like me. I appreciate your response and some great links.

Amit

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,804 Views)