From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Built installer fails - older version of winMIF

Solved!
Go to solution

I've got a VI that I've built into an executable - everything up to that step works fine. I want to make an installer to package it with labview runtime to use on other computers, and can successfully build the installer, but when I try to run it I get the error while the installer is initializing:

"This distribution is build with an older version of winMIF that is not compatible with .NET 4.8.0. Upgrade to 22.8.0."

Not quite sure how to do that, it sounds like something packaged into the installer is too old for the oldest version of .NET I've got installed?

I'm running LabVIEW 64 bit version 2022 Q3 22.3f0, under "additional installers" I've tried leaving it on "Automatically select recommended installers" and manually selecting things with no impact. I've tried building with "minimize media prompts while building your installers, copy the selected installers and all future installers to this computer. This application requires you to copy installers as administrator" both checked and unchecked. I've tried running the installer as administrator (and labview when building). Nothing has made a difference.

I haven't tried reinstalling LabVIEW yet because it is a pain. Any advice? Thanks!

Message 1 of 29
(6,383 Views)

This issue was reported to NI yesterday and we are investigating. One of our older packages for older installer support on the build system is confused by the newer version of .NET 4.8. Our current understanding is that if you can upgrade the version of ni-mdfsupport package to version 22.8 or later, the problem will be mitigated. You should be able to do this fairly easily in NIPM using the Updates tab when viewing hidden (infrastructure) packages when connected to ni.com feeds.

We will update you all with more when we confirm more.

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 29
(6,354 Views)

Hi Scott, how can i find a older NIPM version. On the download page version selection is not possible. I have the same issue. I will try the solution from you.

Best regards

Message 3 of 29
(6,328 Views)

Torsten, you are correct that when using the Download button on ni.com for the NIPM product, you can only download the latest (23.3) version of the online installer for NIPM. That is because NIPM's feed on ni.com contains all versions of NIPM packages, and an online installer will always install the latest version of packages in registered feeds. The only way to install a specific version of NIPM is to download the offline installer for that version.

Part of the reason that this issue occurred is because the NIPM installers do not include updates to a set of components (i.e. ni-mdfsupport) that installer builders, like LabVIEW, use to create installers using our older "meta deployment framework (mdf)" technology. A newer version of LabVIEW would include them. The instructions that I shared previously should work, and we will likely create a KB soon that will include an offline installer that contains the updated set of packages to fix this issue.

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 29
(6,318 Views)

I run into the exact same issue.

However I can't find the update for the ni-mdfsupport package using NIPM. I'm using "the Updates tab when viewing hidden (infrastructure) packages when connected to ni.com feeds." like mentioned, but see nothing.

I can't find it on the NI site either, can you provide a direct link to the download?

Edit: I'm running LV2020 SP1,  my current version of the ni-mdfsupport is 21.3.0.49152-0+f0

Message 5 of 29
(6,289 Views)

We have the same problem and can no longer deploy our application. We have to rely on LabVIEW 2020 SP1 because LabVIEW2021 does not support CANopen anymore.

Message 6 of 29
(6,274 Views)

There is no way to reasonably roll back the NI Package Manager to implement the suggested fix. I just tried all the versions back to 21.8.0 and only 23.3.0 didn't try to remove all of the dependent programs IE labview and test stand and all. Please make the NI-mdfSupport package available on the latest version of NIPM. When can we expect this to be fixed?

Message 7 of 29
(6,229 Views)

We have an installer that we will likely add to a new KB, but I would prefer to not post the installer until we have an official KB, hopefully next week. If you would like to test the installer, you can send me an email directly or send a private message using the forums and I will send you a temporary link to it.

I have sent the installer to all above that have commented.

Scott Richardson
Message 8 of 29
(6,215 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RPerkins

We have published the below support page that contains an installer that upgrades the low-level packages to prevent this issue:

Custom Installer Fails During Deployment With .NET 4.8 Error

Scott Richardson
Message 9 of 29
(6,191 Views)

Thank you for posting that Scott.

However, it seems the download link in that page is dead. Do you have a mirror?

EDIT: worked now.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 29
(5,809 Views)