From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building Source Distribution fails but building an Application from same source does not

I am trying to build a source code distribution for my current project.

The build fails with a message about not being able to find all of the VI's called out in my program...

BUT I can build my application just fine!

What's going on? Why can't it find all the VI's?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,073 Views)

I don't *think* that's the same error message I've gotten, but there's an issue I've seen when building a source distribution and selecting "preserve disk hierarchy".  I think that's the setting where the "\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\..." hierarchy gets replicated underneath the root of your source destination.  If your source destination already has several layers of nested folders, it becomes increasingly possible to exceed Windows' string length limit for a path, which I think might be something like 255.

One way around it is to use a CMD or PowerShell window to use the SUBST command to mount a virtual drive letter at the source destination so you can then just reference the drive letter and save a bunch of characters in your path string.   For example:

SUBST Z: "C:\Windows\Users\KevinP\Documents\LabVIEW Projects\ProjectName\Source Distribution"

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,041 Views)

This can happen if you have a diagram disable structure, and inside a disabled case there is a missing VI.

The app builds OK because it doesn't need anything in the disabled cases; but the source distribution wants everything.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,017 Views)