From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build waveform from discrete points

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all

I am trying to make a custom signal generator with the possibility of an arbitrary waveform. 

I have a graph with some cursors on it you can move around as you like (only in the Y direction, not the X) From these points I would like

to create a "soft" waveform, that is a waveform with lets say 500 points so the edges isn't so rough. I have attached some pictures showing what I

have and what I would like 🐵 (I have the discrete and I would like a waveform smoothness like the output)..

I tried to mess around with FIR filter, interpolation, spline functions but I don't think it is the way to go because of the low amount of datapoints I have to start

with, but maybe these functions could be a step two in the process?!

This curve is something the user is going to draw each time he starts the program, that's why I am kind of limited to around 10-20 points max to create a waveform

like the one in the picture.

Hope you understand my problem and are able to help. 🙂

Thanks

Regards

Tommy

-----
Running LabVIEW 2009 32bit SP1 on Windows 7 64Bit
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,917 Views)

I saw the effects of the Cubic Hermite Spline Fit durring a demo and told myself "I should rember that one" for those cases where other fits give weird ringing type effects nears steps. So I never got around to using it but at least I rembered it.

I hope that helps you,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,908 Views)

Hello Ben

Thanks for your input, I'll give it a try.

Have a nice day

Regards

Tommy

-----
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,879 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tombech

here is my try... My quick input was an array of slider 😉

If you run it in a loop the operator get's a direct feedback.

Why you don't like  splines? 

Sidenote: If you choose  coerce for interpolation, you have a Pisa like impression 🙂

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,864 Views)

Hello

Thanks to both for good answers!!

Henrik: I don't mind spline functions, I just though it would require more points then what I had, but I see it works great.

Nice little example you made there, thanks a lot it works great!!!!

Have a nice weekend, I know I will now 🙂

Regards

-Tommy

-----
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,855 Views)