From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build process hangs. Re-install resolves. Cycle repeats.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

Once every 3-4 months or so (sometimes sooner... sometimes later), I find myself having to re-install LabVIEW due to the build process slowing down.  On a fresh install of LabVIEW (2017), the build process for my application takes about a minute or less.  After a few builds, even though the updates are relatively minor, the build process will begin hanging up on "Initializing build...".  It starts off hanging for a minute or two before the bar starts to move.  A few builds later, it will hang for 10-20 minutes.  Eventually it will start hanging for close to an hour.  Once the bar finally starts to move, it still only takes a minute to complete the build.  If I re-install LabVIEW, the issue is resolved and I am back to one minute builds... and the cycle repeats itself.  What could I be doing to cause this and how can I prevent it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,005 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author J.New
Hi J.New,
I don't know why it's taking so long, but you could try cleaning the build and clearing the compiled object cache next time it gets slow.
Clean the build: Right click on the build spec >> clean
Clear the object cache: Tools >> Advanced >> Clear compiled object cache
Message 2 of 3
(992 Views)

After clearing the compiled object cache, the build got past initializing quicker, but then got stuck on compiling and eventually failed with errors.  Then I ran a mass compile and it resolved everything.  I'm not sure if mass compile did it alone or a combo of the three, but it is back to normal now and I don't have to re-install so I'm happy. 

Capture.PNG

Message 3 of 3
(916 Views)