LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build not putting a text file in the correct destination

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm using LabVIEW 2015f1 and have a build spec that "always includes" a text file. Under source file settings I have specified that the text file goes into the "Same as caller" destination which is designated as: "C:\builds\MyApp".

When the build is complete, the text file has instead been put into the "C:\builds\MyApp\Support directory. It won't work properly unless it's in the same directory as the executable.

This is frustrating as I base the installer spec on the build spec and give the installer to other people and don't want to have to include instructions like: "Once installed, move file "blah" from the Support directory to the directory containing the executable." That's just dumb.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,317 Views)

I have not tried reproducing this, but why don't you adjust the exe to look in the "data" folder instead. Seems cleaner to me and that's what I always do.

Can you create a small sample project that demonstrates the problem? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,314 Views)

I'll try to get a simple example that reproduces the problem.

This text file is actually a .md5 digest of all my application files (for quality assurance purposes). The file has to be placed in the root of the application folder in order for the verification to work (the digest contains paths relative to the app location).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,310 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BillMe
Open the build specification and go to the "Preview" section. Where does the preview show the file being placed?

Beyond that, I think I may have run into this situation before. Create a custom installation location that happens to be the same as the installation directory. Assign the file to go to that new destination and see if that works.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 4 of 5
(3,307 Views)

The Preview shows the text file in the Support folder.

A small example project showed the same behaviour.

I created a custom destination (pointing to the same location as the app) and that worked.

Thanks. I should check if there is a CAR on this.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,301 Views)